319Re: High tech sails

  • cdsail@ameritech.net
    Dec 27, 2010
      I have quotes for genoa from doyle, UK and Quantum on their (each has a slightly different name) Doyle Stratis Quicksilver (GPC), Fusion MX Poly Double Taffeta and similar from UK. Doyle and UK were ~ 25% higher with a discount from Quantum. Was your pricing pretty close from all? I was planning to call Evolution (i think that is Halsey now) also but the sailmaker is in Mystic so I am hestitant to have the sailmaker that far.

      Also, I see that you selected at 155% vs 140%. do you use a furling 155%?

      Thanks, a little early to think about but I have an # of things to upgrade for this season.

      thanks,
      conrad

      --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

      > I have just ordered a new main and a 155% genoa, both from Doyle Sails. They are Mylar/Kevlar with carbon tapes. I will race with these sails and cruise with our present sails. Both new sails will be built to the full PERF allowances. I got quotes from UK
      > Halsey and Quantum. Doyle got the nod due to experience of the actual guy in Detroit who will build the sails and their price which was much better than the others. Comparisons were made using the same materials (Mylar Kevlar carbon) and same features.
      > Bill Stellin
      > Jaywalker
      >
      > Sent from my iPod
      >
      > On Oct 1, 2010, at 4:27 PM, "wayne.cassady" <wcassady@...> wrote:
      >
      > > We have a J40 with a Dacron main and a Norlam 155%. They and our other dacron headsails are in good shape but I am starting to look into getting some lighter weight racing sails for the boat. May go new or used if that choice could be made to work. We've almost always gone with North but I am looking for all advice on good sailmaker experiences and sail materials. Also wondering if used J42 sails can be suited down to a J40. Thanks for any advice.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic