254Re: Any ideas for how to close off the hawse slot on a J/42 on passage?

  • svJarana
    Jul 19 11:51 AM
      We successfully plugged the holes by gluing in 1.5 " closed cell foam plugs with silicone. Works fine. We haven't plugged the windlass hole, but we haven't pounded to weather much since Oregan. Ha, how about that!? Anyhow, we haven't had water come in the boat as before.

      The water tank vents problem (originally reported by either Stellin or True Love) where seawater could siphon into watertanks.:

      I joined the two vent hoses at a tee valve that is kept closed except when filling tanks. I also added an anti siphon loop inside the boat to allow air back into the tanks.

      btw: for short inshore hops between marinas (on Puget Sound), it's really handy to stow the mooring lines in the anchor locker by placing the eyes of the mooring lines over the windlass and leading the standing part leading through the holes to the the coils laying below on top of the fenders. Much easier for my wife than wrestling them off hooks, or diving to where they've fallen to the bottom of the locker.

      --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Keffer" <keffer@...> wrote:

      > Here's what I finally came up with:
      >
      > http://www.threefools.org/velocity/Projects/HawsePipePlugs
      >
      > -tk
      >
      > --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Keffer" <keffer@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm thinking of Bill & Kathy's experience on J/42 #2, Jarana, off the shore of California where the anchor locker filled up with so much water, it found its way through a conduit and onto their forward berth! While one could install a bigger drain at the bottom of the locker, it seems that the obvious solution is to stop the ingress.
      > >
      > > I'm wondering if anyone has an elegant solution on how to do this? A nylon plug with a latch on the bottom? Duct tape? A rag? :-)
      > >
      > > -tk

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic