      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      From: wstellin@...
      Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:29:52 -0400
      Subject: RE: [j4x-owners-group] Re:Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

      Bernie
      There is a very good chance, the motor is still fine.  Mine was, it was just the gear box that disintegrated due to the fact it is made out of alum or pot metal and not suited for salt water baths every day.
      Seperating the motor shaft from the gear box is the tricky part.  The circleclip at the bottom of the shaft holds it all together.  After you replace the gear box, which has been redesigned and is much more sturdy, the next to go will be the control box with the solenoids inside. They freeze up over time .  All the parts are still available and are basically plug and play.
      Good luck.
      Bill Stellin

      To: j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com
      From: nmerr10001@aol. com
      Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:56:50 -0400

      Bernie--If it makes you feel any better we had the same problems. Once it
      starts making the noises you describe it's only a matter of time until it
      quits. We had the motor rebuilt to get us through last summer and now have
      replaced the entire unit. Newt Merrill

      Newton PS Merrill
      nmerr10001@aol. com
      (O)212-873-0287ext1 1