192Re: [j4x-owners-group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

  • Ivan C Getting
    Apr 2, 2010
      Bernie,

      Great idea.  I will sit down with Euclid and Dremel and see if there is room to do this.  It would be a lot more fun than removing and remounting the winches.

      Ivan

      On 4/2/2010 3:15 PM, Bernard Coyne wrote:

      We had the same problem with the port cabin top winch on our J/42 hull #3. Instead of remounting the winch, we just took a Dremel tool and ground out a small portion of the brass pedestal...just enough to get the remaining gear(s) out. Our friend with hull #17 had the same issue and resolved with the same solution.

      Bernie

      Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
      IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
      Download a free trial:
      http://jazz. net/projects/ rational- team-concert/
      IBM Rational software,
      coyneb@.... com, 781-789-0762
      Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/ IBM@IBMUS

      Inactive hide details for Ivan C Getting ---04/02/2010 04:03:29 PM---Hi All, Looks like I am going to have the same problem.  TIvan C Getting ---04/02/2010 04:03:29 PM---Hi All, Looks like I am going to have the same problem. The PhDs at Person

      Ivan C Getting <getting@colorado. edu>

      j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

      04/02/2010 04:03 PM

      Re: [j4x-owners- group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

      Sent by:

      j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

      Hi All,

      Looks like I am going to have the same problem.  The PhDs at Person Composites put the winches on my coach roof in position and orientation that precludes removing the gears for cleaning and lubrication.  Lemar says its perfectly OK to change the angular orientation of the winches so that they can be maintained.  All I have to do is get them off first.  Thanks for the info on Anti-Bond 2015.

      Ivan
      KITTIWAKE
      Hull no. 74

      On 4/2/2010 1:39 PM, Bernard Coyne wrote:

          Yes I have some anti-bond... great stuff...thanks.

          Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
          IBM Rational Team Concert - a new agile application lifecycle management solution
          Download a free trial:
          http://jazz. net/projects/ rational- team-concert/
          IBM Rational software,
          coyneb@.... com, 781-789-0762
          Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/ IBM@IBMUS

          Inactive hide details for paullever---04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM---    If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.  Paulpaullever--- 04/02/2010 02:04:07 PM--- If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work. Paul

          paullever@verizon. net

          j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

          j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

          04/02/2010 02:04 PM

          Re: [j4x-owners- group] Replacing Lewmar windlass on J/42

          Sent by:

          j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com

          If it is 5200, then try Anti-bond, it does work.

          Paul

          Apr 2, 2010 05:13:36 PM, j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com wrote:

                  Has anyone attempted to remove and reinstall or replace their windlass? Mine
                  >still works but is severly corroding and starting to make whining noises. I have
                  >removed the nuts off the 4 bolts with no trouble but can not remove the bolts.
                  >The deck housing has probably been sealed with 5200 making the job very difficult.
                  > I have also tried working from below deck but there is no straight-on access to
                  >the bolts. I have tried forcing putty knives between the deck and the units but
                  >no luck.
                  >
                  > Any suggestions? ?
                  >
                  > thx
                  > Bernie