1542Replacing sea water pump on Yanmar 4JH3-BE

  • roddeyo51
    Aug 9, 2014

      While going around Vancouver Island this July in our J/42 Northern Lights, the sea water pump on the Yanmar 4JH3-BE engine started leaking small amounts of oil from the gear box splash lubrication. I have a spare pump and intended to replace it today now that we're back in Seattle. The Yanmar service manual describes it as a simple procedure - remove the hoses and then the four bolts holding the pump assembly to the gear case.

      The problem I'm having is accessing the lower two bolts because the forward port motor mount is in the way. The upper left bolt and the nut on the upper right stud could be removed easily. But there is only about 1/4" clearance on the lower left bolt which I could loosen but not back all the way out, and I can't even get a tool on the lower right bolt because of the motor mount.

      Has anyone replaced the raw water pump on their 4JH3? Do you have to remove the forward port motor mount to access the lower two bolts? Any advice would be welcome!

      Rod Deyo

      J/42 Northern Lights #61

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic