      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      From: keffer@...
      Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:31:03 +0000
      Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re: What size primary filter do you use on your Yanmar? and what spares do you carry

      Hi, Scott

      I used to use 2 micron primary filters as well, but had troubles with them clogging very quickly. A local mechanic here suggested switching to 10 and using the stock Yanmar filter as the secondary. I've had no more problems since.

      I don't know what micron size the stock Yanmar filters are either, but I figure if they're good enough for Yanmar, they're good enough for me. :-)

      As for spares, I usually care one extra primary, one extra secondary, an extra impeller (an old one will do), an extra oil filter, and an alternator belt. That's for coastal sailing up and down the Pacific Northwest (including the overnighter between Oregon and Washington), as well as jaunts up through Canada and Alaska (spares are easy to come by). If I was doing a longer, offshore, cruise I'd take more (way more!).

      --- In j4x-owners-group@ yahoogroups. com, "sk_dickinson" <sk_dickinson@ ...> wrote:
      > All,
      > We've done some work on our fuel system and relized we have 3 different primary filter types and I wanted your advise as to which I should stick with.
      > We have a Racor primary filter. What Micron type do you use?
      > 2, 10, or 30.
      > A few folks recommend 30. We have had quite a bit of trouble with 2. I now have 30 installed and a 10 in stock.
      > I'd like to settle on the best choice.
      > I looked up the Yanmar 2ndary filter and could not determine how granular it is. I was thinking I don't want a primary that is larger than the 2ndary, but I have no expertise in this area.
      > On a second note, What do you keep on board for spares. Here is what I have: Primary Fuel filter, Secondary Fuel filter, Oil filter, Alternator belt. Should I carry other stuff like an impeller?
      > Your feedback is valued!
      > Thanks
      > Scott Dickinson
      > Tiki J