150Re: What size primary filter do you use on your Yanmar? and what spares do you carry

  • lenny_reich
    Sep 18, 2009
      Scott: Unless you have your impeller changed every year and put no more than about 100 hours on the engine annually, you should carry a spare impeller and know how to install it. The old impellers can sometimes be difficult to remove, and you need to pre-bend the vanes of the new impeller in the correct direction (often done with a cable tie) as you slide it in place.

      --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "sk_dickinson" <sk_dickinson@...> wrote:

      > All,
      > We've done some work on our fuel system and relized we have 3 different primary filter types and I wanted your advise as to which I should stick with.
      >
      > We have a Racor primary filter. What Micron type do you use?
      > 2, 10, or 30.
      >
      > A few folks recommend 30. We have had quite a bit of trouble with 2. I now have 30 installed and a 10 in stock.
      >
      > I'd like to settle on the best choice.
      >
      > I looked up the Yanmar 2ndary filter and could not determine how granular it is. I was thinking I don't want a primary that is larger than the 2ndary, but I have no expertise in this area.
      >
      > On a second note, What do you keep on board for spares. Here is what I have: Primary Fuel filter, Secondary Fuel filter, Oil filter, Alternator belt. Should I carry other stuff like an impeller?
      >
      > Your feedback is valued!
      >

      > Thanks
      > Scott Dickinson
      > Tiki J