15Re: [j4x-owners-group] Re: J4x Rudder Bearing Replacement

  • esh
    Jan 3, 2008
      Thanks a lot for the new picture. The J40 rudder
      bearing info is at
      , includes reference to your article. Latest bearing
      replacement I know if is on Bill Webster's J37
      Sidekick-he used the Edson bearings, thought the
      installation was a bit of work, but was still very
      happy with them when I spoke to him in October. He
      just did a very major refit of the boat, so the cost
      of the bearings was irrelevant.
      --- plee56 <paullever@...> wrote:

      > --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Ed
      > Huckins" <esh@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > The J4X's have in common the use of all glass
      > rudder posts, with SS
      > > sleeves, and large bearings from several
      > manufacturers. The early
      > > Harken bearings, which used dissimilar metals, are
      > a standard
      > > replacement item with bearings from PYI/Jafa and
      > from Edson. I
      > > replaced J40 bearings early due to electrolysis
      > from an emergency
      > > generator at the marina, so used one of the last
      > Harken bearings.
      > > May be time to do it again in the future. Some of
      > the experience of
      > > other J40 owners is captured at
      > http://members.dslextreme.com/users/
      > > sded/bearings.htm and for a J37 at
      > http://www.jcruiser.org/37/Eos/
      > > eos_rudder_bearing_replacement.htm . Are there
      > other experiences
      > > that might be useful to the J4X owners?
      > >
      > Ed,
      > I added a picture of the Jeffa bearing failure after
      > 1 year to the
      > jcrusier web site: EOS Rudder Bearing Replacement
      > also put up a pic of a composite bearing. I've
      > always been suspicious of
      > having an aluminum race that then gets covered with
      > a copper based
      > bottom paint. A recipe for corrosion.
      > Regards
      > Paul L