      From:        "sailgarrett@... [j4x-owners-group]" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      To:        j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      Date:        06/16/2014 05:30 PM
      Subject:        Re: [j4x-owners-group] J/46 engine overheating

      Bernie,

           I had similar overheating on my J 46 (# 28) for the first several years I owned her. I did install a one inch thru hull and hose. I also removed the slanted grating at the entrance of the thru hull.

           I change my coolant every 1000 engine hours, or every two years, whichever is first, with extended life coolant. I have my heat exchanger inspected when I change the coolant and perform a Rid Lyme flush if needed.

           After 8 years, I replaced my engine heat exchanger.

           I have no overheating problems under 3000 RPM, unless I am in very warm water such as the Bahamas or Florida, or the Chespeake in the summer. In those warm conditions, I cannot go above 2800 RPM without overheating.

                           Waddy

      In a message dated 6/16/2014 4:18:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com writes:

      For some time our J/46 hull #10 engine has overheated if rpm’s exceed 2500 rpm’s.   We also notice lots of air bubbles in the strainer at all rpm’s.  I now want to get this fixed.  Our mechanic has pointed out a couple of potential causes that I wanted to run by the group.
      1. Yanmar spec for our engine calls for a 1” raw water feed, yet our boat only has a 3/4” hose feed.  I checked a late model J/46 and they do indeed have a 1” feed.
      2. The bubbles in the sea strainer could indicate an air leak at or before the strainer.
      So I would like to hear from other J/46 owners to learn if they have or had similar overheating engine problems and also what size raw water hose you have and your hull # please.
      Many thanks,
       Bernie Coyne
      Mystic Rose J/46 #10

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic