1433RE: [j4x-owners-group] radar scanners

  • Deb and Con
    Apr 16, 2014

      Thanks to all… I do not have a Questus gimbal.  It is an Edson mechanism strut (really made by Bennet trim tabs) that I thought may be the culprit but it was not.  Maybe it is just the rubber sleeve that may in some way be deteriorating and causing condensation to drip.  However the color was sort of greenish which seemed like melted grease.  Know that I think about it there may be a swivel or knuckle somewhere under the rubber sleeve that uses grease or is sealed but is leaking.  Edson never mentioned that but I will check. The dome gimbals hydraulically using the strut and electrical switch to adjust the angle.

      From: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com [mailto:j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill Bowers
      Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:39 AM
      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [j4x-owners-group] radar scanners

      Do you have a Questus gimbal radar mount?  It is filled with hydraulic fluid for damping, and might have a leaky seal.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Apr 16, 2014, at 8:25 AM, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

      I am not aware of fluid.  It may come from condensation.  The motor creates some heat.  I know some diodes can fail and leak, but it would be minute amounts.

      Bill #6

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 16, 2014, at 7:53 AM, "Deb and Con" <cdsail123@...> wrote:

      Bill,

      Do you know if there is any kind of fluid inside a raymarine raydome that houses the radar?  I have over the past couple of years had a fluid that drips from that area where the rubber sleeve covered the top of the pole and the connection to the raydome.  It only occurs during the winter time.  I clean it up and nothing during the summer.  I thought it was the canting mechanism but it is not.

      # 46