1397Re: [j4x-owners-group] Retractor Spring Torque

    Apr 2 1:06 PM
      I thought about a rope clutch, but I already had the cleat and I didn't want the extra bulk of a rope clutch or the danger of tripping over it.  The jam cleat is very small so even if you step on it you hardly notice its there.  Plus there is no extra friction.
      My moto has always been make one item do many jobs as in the cleat.  I can't tell you how often I use it .  One other good use is to tie off the wheel from both sides to keep it from turning while at the dock in heavy surge.  I could use the brake, but it slips a little and the big rudder can put extra strain on the wheel mechanism using  just the brake.
      Bill    #6

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 2, 2014, at 3:58 PM, "William Stellin" <wstellin@...> wrote:

      I didn't want to drill a hole in the deck and the perforated toe rail gave me an excuse not to.  Also I have moved the block a couple of times by just moving the pin shackle forward or back.

      Directly in line with the furler line just  about even with the primary winch, I installed a vertical jam cleat.  The purpose of this is to drop the furler line into it and stop it from letting more sail out while I put the tail on a winch to bring the sail in when it is really blowing like stink.  It is really handy as it frees up a winch.  When the sail is partially furled, it is also on the cleat shown in the picture to keep the sail from unfurling.  The jam cleat would not hold the sail for long periods, it is just a temporary measure to control the sail until I can get it on the winch or back on the cleat.
      The jam cleat is through bolted.  I have a short loop of line that I drop into it when it is not being used as the furler line sometimes would drop in accidentally and prevent the line from paying out when I want to shake out the reef. It works like a charm and has saved us grief many times.
      Bill   #6

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 2, 2014, at 2:13 PM, "Deb and Con" <cdsail123@...> wrote:

      Bill,

      Thanks, the jam block is just a little different on #46 but pretty much the same.  All I need to do it locate and install the cleat.  I installed a rope clutch for the furling line that is just forward of your picture installed thru the deck with backing plate.

      Awesome!

      Conrad

      Another J