1389Re: [j4x-owners-group] Locking companionway from the inside

  • Bill Bowers
    Mar 30, 2014
      Hi Bill #6
      Yes, I originally planned to cut annular bushings as you suggest and spile the contour of each hole. I'm sure that would be OK.
      It seemed better to provide a full support to each bolt the size of standard 5/16 x 1 1/2 SS fender washers. Spiling 11/2 bushings could certainly work.  I think the aligning straw disk epoxy putty pads will be not that much more work. With tales of J42 steering pedestals being torn free in all hands standing jibes it seemed prudent to err on the side of caution for this critical high load piece of kit.
      Bill #3

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 30, 2014, at 1:44 PM, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

      Bill
      You've gone to a lot of work for the  pads under the machine screws.  Did you think of just getting some 1" solid aluminum rod, cutting the rod into 1/2" pieces and then drilling a 5/16th hole through them, then eye balling what the angle should be to get the hole lined up, then cutting them again.......Or, making a solid block of oak the size of the pad on top and cutting one surface to match the pad angle.
      Bill #6

      Sent from my iPad

      On Mar 25, 2014, at 5:38 PM, "Bill Bowers" <wfb01983@...> wrote:

      Thanks Bill. The cleat appears to be a bit forward and outboard of winch with a good lead from the jammer. I had been thinking yours were aft of the footblock from earlier posts.

      I will be posting photos of a simple rig devised to epoxy putty in oak disks to support fender washers which become perpendicular to the footblock bolts passing thru the canted block pad.  The top of the footblock pad is far from parallel to the underside in the deck in 42 #3.  I scored 300 5/16 plastic milkshake straws on EBay for all who need same. That and a length of 5/16 dowel and a 1 1/2" holesaw gives aligning fixtures to bed the pads perpendicular to however the TPI guy held his hand drill on the original Schaefer block install on your vessel.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 25, 2014, at 2:41 PM, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

      Hi All
      This is an old subject, but I just noticed a photo of where the horn cleat is located for my cheek block stopper.   You ought to be able to figure out just where it is located.
      Bill  #6

      Sent from Windows Mail