115Re: twingers

  • Jennifer
    Apr 30, 2009
      thanks Bernie, we are not sure what to do--for our regular racing it is fine but we are going to Hawaii next summer in the Pac Cup and having the sheet chafing on the boom for days on end seems like a bad idea. :p we still have 14 months to figure something out though.

      --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, Bernard Coyne <coyneb@...> wrote:

      > Ah yes...it does that on our boat too. Of course you don't want to choke
      > the sheet down too much with a twing so we just live with it. I have had
      > the boom repainted once already though - about half way through its current
      > 13 year life :-)
      >
      > Bernie
      >

      > Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
      > IBM Rational Team Concert - a new collaborative software development
      > solution
      > Download a free trial: http://jazz.net
      > IBM Rational software, coyneb@..., 781-789-0762
      > Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS
      >

      > "Jennifer"
      > <sailsfbay@hotmai
      > l.com> To
      > Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      > j4x-owners-group@ cc
      > yahoogroups.com
      > Subject
      > [j4x-owners-group] Re: twingers
      > 04/30/2009 03:51
      > PM
      >

      > Please respond to
      > j4x-owners-group@
      > yahoogroups.com

      > Thanks Bernie, actually our problem is the sheet rubbing on the bottom of the
      > boom, how do you avoid that problem? thanks!
      >
      > --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, Bernard Coyne <coyneb@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Jennifer:
      > >
      > > No I am not saying they won't work on the J/42 but the loads are
      > > considerably higher on a 20k pound boat. On our J/42 we use double-sheets
      > > and guys and have a heavy-duty Schaefer swivel block mounted forward on the
      > > deck outboard near the shrouds. We lead the guys through this on both
      > > sides and that seems to help. But if we were a pure racing machine doing a
      > > lot of tight reaches then a reaching strut would be the way to go.
      > >
      > > cheers,
      > > Bernie
      > >

      > > Bernie Coyne, World Wide Marketing Manager
      > > IBM Rational Team Concert - a new collaborative software development
      > > solution
      > > Download a free trial: http://jazz.net
      > > IBM Rational software, coyneb@, 781-789-0762
      > > Notes: Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS
      > >

      > > "Jennifer"
      > > <sailsfbay@hotmai
      > > l.com> To
      > > Sent by: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      > > j4x-owners-group@ cc
      > > yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject
      > > [j4x-owners-group] Re: twingers
      > > 04/30/2009 03:37
      > > PM
      > >

      > > Please respond to
      > > j4x-owners-group@
      > > yahoogroups.com

      > > Hmm so Bernie the J-42 is too big for twingers? Guess you can tell I come from
      > > smaller boats--we had twingers on our 30 footer. thanks!
      > >
      > > --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, Bernard Coyne <coyneb@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Twing lines = tweakers
      > > >
      > > > We had these on our Laser 28. They are control lines that cinch the
      > > > spinnaker guy down to the deck around the shrouds. This improves leverage
> [...]
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic