1149Re: [j4x-owners-group] RE: winterizing HVAC

    Nov 21, 2013

      Sure Barry,

       Of course you need to decide how much you will actually use it. I put in after a steamy hot season at a dock in Simpson Bay. I was concerned about weight and complicating things, but it has worked well, I just don’t use it much where I spend most of my time, New England.

      Specifics:

      Cruise Air 1,600 BTU. It is compact and weighs 25 lbs.

      Location: The unit is installed under the V berth on the Starboard side. A small platform of plywood was built toprovide a flat surface to secure it. The intake Air is in just above the small low locker in the center of the V.

      Water Flow : I did not want to drill a hole below the water line so the water intake comes from the same sea cock as the aft head. A "Y" at that point allows water to flow to either the head or the AC unit.

       The hose then travels under the refrigerator then under the Port settee where the pump is located. The hose then leads to theunit in the V berth from behind both the water tank and the forward head. The exhaust water exits through the one hole needed to be made which above the waterline on the Port side under the forward sink, so access is easy.

      Electricity: The electricity comes from the electrical panel, through the starboard cabinets, to the forward hanging locker where the control buttons reside, then to the AC unit. The buttons V berth on the outside wall of the closet.

      Duct work: flows to the Port side from under the V berth.One exit vent is by the port shelf of the V berth and that cools the V, and the other is in the Main Salon on the flat shelf between the two cabinets on the port side.

       The duct work runs from the V, behind the forward head, out of site, then under the forward sink to the salon. It is very high up in the forward port storage compartment taking up virtually no room and out of sight.

      PerformanceEven on the hottest days the unit cools the main salon nicely. I usually close the aft cabin and head doors. The nice thing it also reduces humidity.

       It works best at a dock. I don’t have a Genset so I use a Honda generator. The AC often trips the Honda when it recycles. I had a 'soft start' installed but it did not help all that much.

      Hope that helps.

      From: Barry Dwyer <bdwyer@...>
      Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 11:54:40 -0600
      To: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [j4x-owners-group] RE: winterizing HVAC

      Anthony,

      I can’t comment on the winterization but I would love to know the specifics of your system and where the components are installed.