    Nov 14, 2013
      Totally Agree! I installed the second track only to satisfy the Newport to Bermuda race inspection officials otherwise I would not have  drilled the holes.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Nov 14, 2013, at 11:36 AM, Robert Thuss <Robert.Thuss@...> wrote:

      I agree, but it depends on what you plan to do. If it’s ocean sailing & distance cruising, the deep 3rd reef and ATN storm jib would be best. But if you’re gearing up to do any major ocean races (Bermuda, Halifax, etc.) then neither of those are allowed and you have to have a storm trysail (usable without removing the main) and storm jibs.

      Robert (former J/42 owner, currently between boats)

      From: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com [mailto:j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of William Stellin
      Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:30 AM
      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [j4x-owners-group] storm trysail track on a CARBON mast

      Rather than install an extra track, we opt'ed for a deep third reef in the main.

       We rode out two gales and had to hove to twice with this rig and never had a problem.  Frankly, it is much easier to reef than set a trysail in heavy weather.   Same goes for a storm jib.   We bought the ATN model that hanks on over the furled genoa and never used it.  The only time it was ever out of the bag in the 8 years of cruising and two Atlantic crossings was when it was new and I wanted to see what it looked like.  Believe me, when it is blowing 35-40 kts.  no one has the guts to leave the cockpit unless it is a true emergency.  J Boats with their short fore triangle and big main really sail marvelously with just a main, even a deeply reefed main. For the same reason we never felt the need for an inner forestay.  it just adds extra "stuff" that J/42's don't need to sail effectively and fast.

       The main is self tacking and you never have to leave the cockpit.  I'd save the money and use it on putting in a third reef if you don't already have one.

      My theory is keep it as simple as it can be so that the boat can be single handed safely.  Even when double handing, for the most part it is still the same as single handing except you get some rest.  Most of every night only one is in the cockpit.  Needing a crew to set sails makes more work than is necessary.

      Bill   #6
      Sent from my iPad

      On Nov 14, 2013, at 11:12 AM, "Jim Brainard" <brainardjim@...> wrote:

      I would consider a deep third reef.  Not exactly the same as a trysail, but depending on your sailing venue and weather forecasts it could be a viable alternative.   Probably need to modify your boom ends.

      Jim

      SV Brainwaves J35c

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Nov 13, 2013, at 7:33 PM, <mxgoemans@...> wrote:

      I am the new co-owner of a J/42 (hull #19, Jade), and I have been really enjoying reading this forum. Thanks for all the advice!

      Has anyone installed a storm trysail track on a J/42 Hall carbon mast? Does anyone have the mast manual? Our rigger will check with Hall spars but said that drilling many new holes in a carbon spar is not advisable (unless it was specifically designed for it). Any comments? Any alternative solutions?

      Thanks,
      -- Michel.

      Hull #19, Jade.

      The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the above named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are expressly prohibited from copying, distributing, disseminating, or in any other way using any information contained within this communication. If you have received this communication in error please contact the sender by telephone or by response via mail.

      We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic