1125Re: [j4x-owners-group] storm trysail track on a CARBON mast

    Nov 14, 2013
      Rather than install an extra track, we opt'ed for a deep third reef in the main.

       We rode out two gales and had to hove to twice with this rig and never had a problem.  Frankly, it is much easier to reef than set a trysail in heavy weather.   Same goes for a storm jib.   We bought the ATN model that hanks on over the furled genoa and never used it.  The only time it was ever out of the bag in the 8 years of cruising and two Atlantic crossings was when it was new and I wanted to see what it looked like.  Believe me, when it is blowing 35-40 kts.  no one has the guts to leave the cockpit unless it is a true emergency.  J Boats with their short fore triangle and big main really sail marvelously with just a main, even a deeply reefed main. For the same reason we never felt the need for an inner forestay.  it just adds extra "stuff" that J/42's don't need to sail effectively and fast.
       The main is self tacking and you never have to leave the cockpit.  I'd save the money and use it on putting in a third reef if you don't already have one.
      My theory is keep it as simple as it can be so that the boat can be single handed safely.  Even when double handing, for the most part it is still the same as single handing except you get some rest.  Most of every night only one is in the cockpit.  Needing a crew to set sails makes more work than is necessary.
      Bill   #6
      Sent from my iPad

      On Nov 14, 2013, at 11:12 AM, "Jim Brainard" <brainardjim@...> wrote:

      I would consider a deep third reef.  Not exactly the same as a trysail, but depending on your sailing venue and weather forecasts it could be a viable alternative.   Probably need to modify your boom ends.

      Jim
      SV Brainwaves J35c

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Nov 13, 2013, at 7:33 PM, <mxgoemans@...> wrote:

      I am the new co-owner of a J/42 (hull #19, Jade), and I have been really enjoying reading this forum. Thanks for all the advice!

      Has anyone installed a storm trysail track on a J/42 Hall carbon mast? Does anyone have the mast manual? Our rigger will check with Hall spars but said that drilling many new holes in a carbon spar is not advisable (unless it was specifically designed for it). Any comments? Any alternative solutions?

      Thanks,
      -- Michel.

      Hull #19, Jade.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic