      From: "Thomas Keffer" <tkeffer@...>
      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:10:42 AM
      Subject: Re: [j4x-owners-group] Boom Preventer

      Tom Keffer
      keffer@...

      On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 6:38 AM, gmail account <cdsail123@...> wrote:

      I do not see the photos.

      Conrad

      Another J # 46

      From: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com [mailto:j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rersk@...
      Sent: Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:32 AM
      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

      I posted some photos of our preventer set-up on Cayenne.  It sounds quite similar to the ones described by others on this thread.  Attaching the preventer control line to a boom mounted preventer at the end nearest the gooseneck means the system is easy to set with boom out, and easy to change after gybing.  The bungee sewn into the middle of the boom mounted preventer line holds it in place on the boom when stowed and helps absorb the shocks of accidental gybes and unexpected backwinding.  The inner forestay also pictured is excellent for either storm jib or heavy weather jib, putting the roller furling genoa out of harm's way.

      Reed  s/v Cayenne #65

      ---In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, <tony@...> wrote:

      Thank you Frank. Tony
      Sent from my iPhone

      > On Sep 28, 2013, at 8:08 PM, Frank Flannery <fflanner@...> wrote:
      >
      > I have used a similar setup with a slight difference:
      >
      > The two lines lead from the bow are of fixed length and each is stored
      > on the rail just forward of the lifeline gate. I used a single strop
      > on the boom that was led through a block on the boom bail, forward to
      > the front of the boom then down and back to an existing clutch on the
      > cabin sole. Bungee held the stop up and out of the way when not in
      > use. To gybe, let the clutch loose, gybe, then go the the leeward
      > rail and switch the preventer line to the new leeward one and take up
      > on the rope clutch again. It can be done without adding any deck
      > hardware, assuming you can free up a clutch on the cabin sole under
      > the dodger.
      >
      > Frank
      >

      >> On 9/17/13, Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...> wrote:
      >> Yes, the shackle is a Tylaska T-8. Overkill perhaps, but they release
      >> nicely under load.
      >>
      >> I just feed the line through the bow cleats --- no block.
      >>
      >> You could do this using one strop with shackle. The shackle would then clip
      >> into the shock cord when not in use. It's important to use spectra for the
      >> strop because it is light. This way, when you park the strop, the shock
      >> cord will neatly snug it up against the boom.
      >>
      >> Frankly, I don't remember why I used two strops. Maybe because that's the
      >> way Starzinger does it and I shamelessly copied? :-)
      >>
      >> -tk
      >>

      >> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Anthony M Iacono
      >> <tony@...>wrote:
      >>
      >>> **
      >>>

      >>> Hi Tom,

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic