1108RE: [j4x-owners-group] Generic tuning question - pre-bend.

  • Barry Dwyer
    Nov 11, 2013

      That 1” recommendation had me confused. I’m not sure I could get there w/o shortening the forestay.

      From: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com [mailto:j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Thomas Keffer
      Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 9:32 AM
      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [j4x-owners-group] Generic tuning question - pre-bend.

      Bernie,

      That North guide gives the prebend at "less than 1 inch," which sounds very small. Is this for the aluminum mast?

      The J/120s also commonly use checkstays.

      -tk

      Tom Keffer

      keffer@...

      On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Bernard Coyne <coyneb@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Bernard Coyne included below]

      The J/42 rig is identical to the J/120 so I used this North tuning guide...

      Sr. Technical Marketing Manager
      DevOps Collaborative Development Practice

      DevOps for Dummies - Your free guide to faster, continuous software delivery

      From:        <bdwyer@...>
      To:        <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Date:        11/11/2013 08:58 AM

      We have had our J/42 for about 5 weeks now and love her. Thankfully the PO had an espar heater installed when he bought the boat so we have used the boat every weekend here on the Chesapeake with our final weekend next week.

      Because the boat is coming out of the water soon this question may be better asked in the spring but It is very much on my mind so; how much pre-bend do you have in your rigs?

      There is a significant amount in ours (maybe 5") and in order to get the forestay tight (like when it was blowing 25 this weekend) I need to really pump up the backstay inducing what seems like too much bend.

      I have about 1.5" of thread showing below the furler so I think I can take some of the pre-bend out but I am almost thinking the forestay might be to long.