1105Re: [j4x-owners-group] Generic tuning question - pre-bend.

    Nov 11, 2013
      I couldn't quantify it, but there is a lot of prebend in the J/42 masts. Mine looks like a windsurfing mast, even with very little backstay tension.

      This is how the boat gets away without having running backstays. All that prebend gives the mast a lot of support in the mid-section, preventing pumping.

      -tk

      Tom Keffer
      keffer@...

      On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 5:58 AM, <bdwyer@...> wrote:

      We have had our J/42 for about 5 weeks now and love her. Thankfully the PO had an espar heater installed when he bought the boat so we have used the boat every weekend here on the Chesapeake with our final weekend next week.

      Because the boat is coming out of the water soon this question may be better asked in the spring but It is very much on my mind so; how much pre-bend do you have in your rigs?

      There is a significant amount in ours (maybe 5") and in order to get the forestay tight (like when it was blowing 25 this weekend) I need to really pump up the backstay inducing what seems like too much bend.

      I have about 1.5" of thread showing below the furler so I think I can take some of the pre-bend out but I am almost thinking the forestay might be to long.