1042Re: [j4x-owners-group] Jefa rudder bearing replacement advice

  • Frank Flannery
    Oct 10, 2013
      Bill,

      We are now two weeks away from hauling to do the bearing. I am still
      trying to figure out how to fit the lip seals. It would seem that I
      need to come up with another tube with an inner diameter equal to the
      outer diameter of the lip seal. I see in your writeup that this tube
      looks integral to the bearing. Did Jefa supply this tube with the
      bearing? Mine didn't come with one.

      Thanks,
      Frank

      On 5/16/13, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:
      > Yes at least on my boat. I had a new bearing by Jafa installed and it uses
      > lip seals instead of the old Harken with a flax packing gland. I dropped
      > the rudder last winter to clean the roller bearings and it was a snap. One
      > bolt seems to be enough and that is all the boat ever had. The cleaning made
      > a huge improvement. Steering is light as a feather now. The bearing was
      > installed in Barcelona in 2007 so it had gotten kinda dirty over the years.
      > Bill
      >
      > Sent from my iPad
      >
      > On May 16, 2013, at 8:07 AM, "Frank Flannery" <fflanner@...> wrote:
      >
      >> So only the upper bearing holds the rudder in the boat?
      >>
      >> On 5/15/13, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:
      >> > The bearing is held in place at the top with a bolt that goes through
      >> > the
      >> > upper bearing housing which keeps it from dropping out of the boat. The
      >> > upper bearing structure is bolted to the deck.
      >> > Bill
      >> >
      >> > Sent from my iPad

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic