929Re: [J28Sailors] RE: forestay length

  • Frank Wyman
    Sep 30, 2013
      ok I'm going with 35' 6" then.  Thanks.  I think I was wrong about "I" being height of mast...I think actually "I" is length from deck to forestay attaching point - and "H" is height of mast.  Thanks again.

      From: Jeff Keen <sendtokeen@...>
      To: "J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com" <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 1:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [J28Sailors] RE: forestay length

      I just uploaded a J-28 Spec Sheet from J Boats that was published in 1996.  You can find it on the Yahoo group page under Attachments.  It lists the length of the headstay as 35' 6".

      On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Frank Wyman <wymanfrank@...> wrote:

      Yes I've viewed that at sailboatdata.com ... BUT I believe that is wrong.  It states the rig is a masthead - which of course it is not, it is fractional - and I believe it uses that in it's naive estimate as sqrt of I squared + J squared (where I is mast height off deck and J is distance form mast to forestay attachment on deck).

      A related question I have is does ANYONE know of an available sketch of the J/28?  Can;t find one ANYWHERE!  ... Not one that has the entire boat: keel to top of mast, stem to stern, stays, and sailplan.