923Re: [J28Sailors] Summer Report

  • william luoma
    Sep 20, 2013
      i just got back from a late afternoon-early evening sail aboard my J/28 Windy on the Chesapeake Bay, sailing out of Galesville on the West River in Maryland. we had a steady 10-12kts out of the south and it was phenomenal - we were dialing it in at 6.8kts up wind and cracking off to 60-70 degrees reaching in flat seas. we were  in the 7s.(on GPS) and passing every boat around us with max of 7.5kts on a reach. tell me about another production 28 footer that can match that! that said, i have a little bit of extra roach in the main (about 25 sq ft at the top) and clean bottom - that makes a huge difference in how she sails. loving my J right now as we all should.

      From: "wmluoma@..." <wmluoma@...>
      To: "J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com" <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>; "J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com" <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 8:07 PM
      Subject: RE: [J28Sailors] Summer Report

      I lived aboard my J/28 in 2001 during Summer delivery from Maine to the Chesapeake which included a month’s stay in Newport, and then again during delivery from Annapolis to Key West in Spring-Summer 2003. that trip took 30 days (22 on the water) and I spent an additional two months living aboard in the Navy marina at Boca Chica. I had a max crew of 3 during the deliveries but was solo in port. fortunately, I had installed AC (Mermaid 6500 BTU unit under the V-berth - fits nicely, cools (and heats) the boat quickly and the extra weight up forward helps downwind performance) for the trip down south and was able to withstand the insects and tropical heat pretty comfortably (also had a tarp that covered most of the boat). without AC, it would have been a little bit hard to take although there were other live-aboards in Key West who were able to do it without AC but not my preference.

      best,
      marc

      Sent from Windows Mail