921Re: [J28Sailors] Summer Report

    Sep 18, 2013
      Sounds great, Frank. Let me know the schedule when time gets closer. I don't know my schedule yet.

      On Sep 18, 2013, at 11:11 AM, Frank Wyman <wymanfrank@...> wrote:

      Excellent info!  And great picture.  Would like to know when you're in Charleston SC next year...maybe it coincides with a CORA race or some such fun event...

      From: David Hastings <david.hastings@...>
      To: "J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com" <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:32 PM
      Subject: [J28Sailors] Summer Report

      Hello All,

      Yes, I am back and thanks, John, for the welcome. There has been a lot of discussion this year about whether or not one can survive for extended periods of time on a J28 and also on the merits of shoal draft vs fin keel. So, I am reporting on my experience living on and racing my shoal draft J28 this past summer.

      I lived on my boat up on Lake ontario from mid June until the middle of August (spending only one night not on the boat) and found it perfectly satisfactory. Very comfortable and accommodating. During regattas I had crew also living on the boat and that worked fine as well. Most evenings i was moored or anchored. So, I am now testament to the fact that one can live comfortably for extended periods of time on a J28.

      I am also pleased to report that the shoal draft model performs just as well as the fin keel version.
      I raced against a fin keel J28 at the EYC regatta in Canada and we beat him handily in the long distance race (25 miles) coming in 3rd in our division of 11 boats ranging from 22' to 38' but only the one other J28. In the course racing (5 races over two days) the fin keel J28 edged us out and got a 2nd while we got a 3rd - an Abbot 36 took 1st. We were pretty much dead even with the fin keel J28 upwind but he was a little faster off the wind. He had a new 155 genoa and whisker pole while we had a 149 nearly new genoa and no pole. Bottom line, the shoal draft is totally competitive with the fin keel. I am pleased.

      I crossed the lake (Ontario) one day in steady 25 knots gusting to 35 and a couple of times higher, 8 foot seas and occasional thunder squalls and the boat handled beautifully. I put a single reef in the main and used the 149% Kevlar genoa.

      Finally, I placed first in a Hospice regatta which also had 11 boats but no J's. I raced in white sail division, by the way. So, the boat goes and all that talk on our web site about the shoal draft version not being up to snuff, I say phooey! My PHRF rating, by the way turned out to be only 3 seconds behind the fin keel j28. I felt there should have been more separation when I was given that rating, but after racing, I think it is more than fair.

      I am already planning to sail the boat from Lake Ontario to St Pete, Florida next season where I hope to keep her year 'round in the future. I have attached a picture taken by a friend in another boat as I was passing by this past summer.

      Nice looking sails, don't you think?

      Dave Hastings, "Headroom"

      On Sep 16, 2013, at 10:38 AM, John Power <sailingmaster@...> wrote:

      I'm getting a max prop as soon as I can afford the price!

      Then again why use an engine when u have perfectly good sails!

      Nice to see u have resurfaced David!

      On Sep 16, 2013, at 10:06 AM, David Hastings <david.hastings@...> wrote:

      Hi Steve. Welcome aboard.   I had the Martec and then the Gori in my J29. The Gori was vastly superior to the Martec. Now I have a J28 with a Max Prop. In my book the Max Prop is superior to the others. Offers more punch, stops better, backs better and is vibration free.

      On Sep 14, 2013, at 11:42 AM, "mcclurejsteven" <mcclurejsteven@...> wrote:

      I would like to get a quote on some of the props you mentioned. I looked in the ownwer's manual on this site, but where can you find the gear ratio, shaft size and rotation info requested on the quote form?
      Thanks,
      Steve