827Re: [J28Sailors] More diesel questions

    Jun 3, 2013
      Jason, I think mine is Variprofile and yes, it's awesome, better than the Gori and Martec. I figured it would be more than $1,800. It's well worth the price and I can't imagine barnacles could be a problem with it. But, I'm sure you'd want to run it pretty regularly.

      On Jun 3, 2013, at 10:24 PM, Jason Smith <jason3317@...> wrote:

      Yeah....I have a variprofile feathering prop....it's geared and it's awesome.  $1800

      On Monday, June 3, 2013, David Hastings wrote:

      JP,

      There is no comparison between a geared, feathering prop and a Martec. There is absolutely no play in the geared feathering prop. Zero. Tight. There is always play in a Martec no matter how new and balanced. Thus, there's always vibration and noise with a Martec that is not present on a Geared prop. The original Martec on my J29 fell off and I replaced it with a Gori geared folding prop and there was an immediate noticeable change. Less vibration, less noise and much more stopping power. It cost double a Martec at that time. My J28 came with a geared feathering prop. I don't know the brand but it looks it cost mega bucks, like triple or more than a Martec. BUT, it is solid, no play, stops the boat on a dime, it's smooth and quiet. Still, any two banger is going to vibrate. I think you worry too much.

      On Jun 3, 2013, at 9:54 PM, sailingmaster@... wrote:

      I just put a brand new Martec 16X12 on the boat. It is noisey when it opens and closes.  The old prop was also Martec, but out of balance. (I tried to save a few bucks on ebay)  Its the original 16X14 which is a little too much for the diesel.  Does anybody want a spare?  :)    The vibration is MUCH better than the other prop but there is still some...I only have a few (much newer) boats to compare that seem smoother...but I would assume there would be some on any small engine?

      JP
      On Jun 3, 2013, at 7:44 PM, jhoagg123 wrote:

      I think I definitely get noise and vibration from the Martec prop, as David indicated. However, I now wonder if that could be greatly alleviated by having Martec refurbish the prop, which they do at reasonable cost. I wish I had sent it to them while I had the boat on the hard.

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, David Hastings <david.hastings@...> wrote:

      > JP,
      >
      > My boat has a feathering prop. She runs smooth as silk. No unusual vibrations. This past winter I went sailing with Jeff Hoagg, and his boat, a shoal draft just like mine, has the original Martec gravity opening prop. I couldn't believe the difference. It was noisy and certainly had plenty of vibration. (Please excuse my comments, Jeff. I Had a wonderful sail and hope you'll have me down again this coming winter). Based on this, I'd suspect the prop. And, there's no way your two banger can compare to the smooth ride of the three cylinder Kubota. But, I'll take a Yanmar any day. Nothing runs like a Yanmar, not even a Deere.
      >
      > Sent from my iPad
      >
      > David L. Hastings
      > 5608 W. Woodside Dr.
      > Crystal River, FL 34429
      > Home: 352-794-6440
      > Cell: 315-345-2078
      >
      > On Jun 2, 2013, at 7:38 PM, "John" <sailingmaster@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Okay, I maybe buying trouble here.....
      > >
      > > I am curious as to how much vibration experience with the engine running.
      > >
      > > I recently sailed on an olson 30 and the engine was incredibly smooth. (Kubota 3 cylinder)
      > >
      > > I would expect some vibration with a 2 cyl engine...even my boat yard says the Yanmar 2gm shuld be "doing and Irish Jig" with everything aligned properly
      > >
      > > Last year, I had to replace a prop, after buying a bad used one (lesson learned) the vibration was much less...but there is still some...enough to that there is a little chatter from loose lateches on the lazerette etc... but not shaking the boat.
      > >
      > > I inspected my cutless bearing this year and it seemed looser then memory servers...just a tiny bit of play...but again, Im still learning about big boats and sometimes my curiosity gets me worried!
      > >
      > > LOL
      > >
      > > JP

      > > Top 3 Stocks for 2013
      > > 3 Stocks with Outstanding Growth Potential.
      > > TheStockReport.com

      "New Way to Build Muscle"
      The Bizarre Approach to New Muscle Growth and Belly Fat Loss...
      HLifestyles.com