[j-ball] Manny Mota

  • Bob Timmermann
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2000
      Someone I know from another e-mail baseball list posed this question

      Just the other day someone was telling me a story about former Pirate and
      Dodger outfielder/pinch-hitter Manny Mota. According to this story, shortly
      after Mota first came up with the Pirates, he hit an inside the park home
      run. Somehow this news made it to Japan, where it made the front pages of
      several papers. According to the story, Japanese editors heard the name
      "Mota" and thought it sounded like one of theirs. They began to make a big
      fuss over the Japanese player in the US.

      Is anyone familiar with this story? Does it sound plausible? If it happened
      it would have been in the mid 1960s when Mota played for Pittsburgh.

      Bob Timmermann
      South Pasadena, CA