[j-ball] Ex-Cub Factor in the Upcoming Japan Series

  • Shingo Takekuma
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 1999
      Have anybody out there ever heard of so-called ex-Cub factor?
      Ex-Cub factor means that the more a team has ex-Cub, the more likely
      the team will not win the pennant or the World Series. I somewhat believe
      that ex-Cub factor applies to the upcoming Japan Series.
      I give you several interesting facts from the past Japan Series
      which support ex-Cub factor can be applied to the upcoming series. In
      95'Japan Series, Orix lost to Yakult, Orix had a ex-Chicago Cub named Doug
      Jennings. In 85',Seibu lost to the Japan Series to Hanshin, Seibu had a
      former Chicago Cub named Steve Ontiveros. In'73, the Nankai Hawks lost to
      the Giants. Nankai had a former Cub named Clarence Jones.
      Interestingly, this year's the Central League's champions the Chunichi
      Dragons have a ex-Chicago Cub named Leo Gomez. The Hawks
      has none. Since the Dragons have a former Cub,I am fastinated to see the
      result of this year's series.Does anyone think that ex-cub factor can be
      applied in the upcoming Japan series ?

    • Aric Wu
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 1999
        Well, it IS true that the Cubs have historically had
        horrible luck in the postseason ever since the 1910s
        era, but it might be a little presumptuous of us to
        just assign this mystical power to all ex-Cubs. It was
        mostly only people who played a lot in America and
        couldn't cut it/were "too old" who wound up in J-ball
        in the early days, right? So wouldn't it stand to
        reason that they didn't do much to help the team? A
        relative lack of talent might be more of the cause
        rather than the team you played for. Besides, I like
        my man Leo. I've always found his batting style
        amusing, but it works pretty well. So I guess you
        might say I don't believe what Shingo's saying only
        because I'm a Leo Gomez fan. But we'll find out the
        truth come the Japan Series, won't we?

        -Aric Wu

        =====