[j-ball] Re: Whither Ichiro?

  • Jeffrey Sams
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 27, 1999
      The rumor for Takahashi was 10 oku with Matsuzaka being right up
      there(remember both the Giants and Seibu are 2 of the better funded
      teams....Much of what goes on with Sasaki in the off season will be based on
      economics...In particular by allowing Sasaki to walk(most likely to the
      Giants, they probably can keep others like Ishii and maybe Rose). It should
      be noted that Higashio presented Matsuzaka with his 200 win ball. Very nice,
      but 10 oku speaks much louder!

      Of course there is no proof....It would be highly illegal(and the tax man
      would cometh in a big way!).
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 1999
        If you want to take an Australian baseball fan seriously, I reckon that the
        Mariners won`t be able to afford Ichiro, and why would he go there anyway?
        They have an entire batting lineup who can hit homers but no pitching,
        despite having a new park suited to pitching/ Besides, if they lose Griffey
        or A-Rod or both, will the Mariners be in contention? Go to Atlanta Ichiro!

        Where is he? He`s on my bedroom wall Go Blue Wave in 2000!

        Raquel, Osaka

        >From: aladdinsane <aladdinsane@...>
        >To: j-ball@egroups.com
        >Subject: [j-ball] Whither Ichiro?
        >Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 17:33:14 -0700
        >
        > Has there been anything anybody's seen lately about what Orix is
        >going to
        >do with
        >Ichiro Suzuki after this season? According to Peter Gammons on ESPN, there
        >has
        >been talk of Orix selling Suzuki to the Seattle Mariners during this coming
        >winter.
        >Anyone know anything about that?
        > Finally, with Daisuke Matsuzaka being treated as Japan's Koufax
        >despite
        >his
        >being merely a rookie, has anybody seen this guy pitch in the flesh? How
        >would
        >you
        >evaluate his stuff?
        >
        >Gary

        >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/j-ball

      • Ron Webster
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 1999
          Ichiro may be in the cards for the Mariners, at least if you believe the new CEO
          of the Mariners. As a member of the Mariners' fan club this e-mail was received
          yesterday:

          TO: Seattle Mariners Fans
          FROM: Howard Lincoln, Mariners Chairman & CEO
          DATE: October 1, 1999

          First and foremost, I'd like to thank you for your tremendous support of
          Seattle Mariners baseball this year. SAFECO Field opened its doors to 30
          sellout crowds and our TV and radio ratings continue to be among the best in
          the game. Our total attendance of over 2.9 million was the second most in
          club history. All thanks to you!

          While my role at the Mariners may be new, my involvement is not. I've been a
          part of the organization since 1992 when I helped put together the ownership
          group that kept the Mariners in Seattle. Monday's change at the chairman and
          CEO level was not sudden. John Ellis and I had been discussing it for about
          a year. This is a logical time for the transition, since the Mariners fiscal
          year begins November 1st and we need to set the budget (including the Major
          League player payroll) for the 2000 season.

          Before I talk about the future, let me express my sincere appreciation to
          John Ellis for all he has accomplished with the Seattle Mariners franchise.
          SAFECO Field is a standing tribute to John and all his hard work. I am
          pleased that he will continue to be involved with the organization as
          chairman emeritus and a member of the Mariners' board of directors. At
          Commissioner Bud Selig's request, John will also continue to serve on the
          Major League Baseball Executive Committee and the blue ribbon economic
          committee studying the future of Major League Baseball.

          Our objectives for the 2000 season are as follows:

          · Hire a new general manager. This will be an organizational decision, with
          Mariners' President Chuck Armstrong making the final call. We expect to have
          someone in place no later than the end of October.

          · Sign Ken Griffey, Jr. and Alex Rodriguez. We have recently made long-term
          contract offers to Ken and Alex that, if accepted, will make them the
          highest two paid players in the 130-year history of baseball. Chuck
          Armstrong and I, together with our new general manager, will be meeting
          with Ken and Alex and their representatives in the coming weeks to discuss
          these proposals.

          · Fill out the remainder of our roster. We will substantially increase our
          Major League player payroll by approximately 30%. That translates into a
          $65-70 million player payroll for the 2000 season. We not only want to be
          competitive, but to win and to win consistently! That is what our fans want
          and that is our objective. This season has shown a number of positives,
          including the performance of our young pitchers. Now we must acquire the
          players to fill in the holes and take advantage of the style of play SAFECO
          Field demands.

          · Make SAFECO Field a first-class fan experience. We want our fans to have
          the best entertainment experience possible at their new ballpark.

          · Win! Win! Win! That's our ultimate goal!
          [end of message]

          Very interesting! Maybe they can afford to pony up some serious money for
          Ichiro but probably not beyond 3-5 million a year which is a lot to ask for
          someone whose only Dai-league experience was Spring Training for one year.
          Anyway, as a former Kobe resident, it will be sad to see Ichiro in another
          uniform ... unless it's a Mariners uniform!

          Ron Webster
          Bala Cynwyd, PA (formerly Seattle & Kobe)