[j-ball] The cyclist and the boarder

  • Michael Westbay
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 1999
      Yesterday saw two new Japanese records, one by cyclist Rose, and the
      other by the big boarder Maru-chan.

      In the rain, Yokohama hosted the Carp at Toyama. And Rose did what he's
      done once every other year since 1994, hit for the cycle. A lead off
      double in the bottom of the 2nd inning sparked a 5 consecutive hit rally
      to give Yokohama an early 3-0 lead.

      I turned the TV on in the 5th inning, right after Hiroshima's Machida
      hit what looked like a home run, but was ruled foul. That seemed to
      take something out of the Carp as, after Machida struck out, they didn't
      play well at all. How poorly did they play? Well...

      Rose started the hit parade with one out in the bottom of the fifth with
      a single to center. Pozo knocked him in two batters later with a three
      run home run to make the score 6-1. 4 hits and a sacrifice fly later,
      Rose was up again. This time he hit the ball to the warning track in
      right. Maeda slipped as though he were riding a banana peel going after
      the fly ball. By the time Maeda got up and got the ball, Rose had a
      bases clearing triple. Komada knocked Rose in for Rose's third run
      scored soon after. The BayStars scored a total of 12 runs in the inning
      to make the score 15-1.

      The very next inning (the 6th), Suzuki led it off with a single to
      center. Rose followed with a two run home run. He even let out a
      "guts pose" rounding first as he knew that he had completed the cycle!

      Yokohama went on to win by the score of 20-4, of which Rose had 5 RBIs
      and scored 4 runs.

      Maru-chan (Martinez) hit his second "Big Board" in as many weeks at
      Tokyo Dome last night (6/30). While he is only the 5th player to hit
      the big boards more than once in a career, he is the first to hit them
      multiple times in the same season, let alone the same month. Big Matsui
      (Giants) and Kiyohara (Lions and Giants) have both hit the bill boards
      worth 100-man yen (often plus a prize from the advertiser) three times.
      Akiyama (Hawks - while with the Lions and Wilson (Fighters) have both
      hit them twice each.

      And it looks like Nagashima-kantoku's decision to play Maru-chan as a
      starting member is paying off. Even you anti-Nagashima fans out there
      have got to admit, Nagashima was right about Maru-chan when he said,
      "Maru-chan is the type who will produce as a starting member, whereas
      Ishii (the Giants other substitute first baseman) is the type to come
      through with just one at bat (i.e. as a pinch hitter)." That was the
      reasoning behind having Maru-chan take first base in place of the
      injured Kiyohara.

      And now for something for you anti-Nagashima fans to argue about.
      Facing a left handed pitcher last night, Nagashima went with Maru-chan
      in left instead of Shimizu, with Ishii starting at first. The pros for
      this idea is that Maru-chan is killing left handed pitching, batting
      .750 (6 for 8, 3 HRs, 4 RBIs) vs. right handed pitchers .250 (4 for 16,
      0 HRs, 0 RBIs). The cons against it is that Shimizu is one of the most
      consistent batters on the Giants, batting .320 (although with just 4
      HRs).

      But back to the big home runs. Maru-chan hit the Kirin Beer ad both
      times, but commented that he still hasn't had the time to cash in on his
      1 year free beer tickets from the first big board hit. He jokingly
      commented that his gut didn't really need a year's worth of beer, and
      now he's got two years' worth.

      Michael Westbay.

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/j-ball
    • Michael Westbay
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 1999
        I wrote:

        > The very next inning (the 6th), Suzuki led it off with a single to
        > center. Rose followed with a two run home run. He even let out a
        > "guts pose" rounding first as he knew that he had completed the cycle!

        Rose's third career cycle matches the world record held by three Major
        Leaguers:

        * John Riley (sp?) 1883 twice and 1990.
        * Bob Muzel (sp?) 1921, 1922, and 1928.
        * Babe Harman (sp?) 1931 twice and 1933.

        50 players have hit for the cycle for a total of 54 times. Two Japanese
        players have hit for the cycle twice in their careers while Rose is the first
        to hit three cycles in Japan.