[j-ball] Kudoh: Triple Crown

  • Michael Westbay
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 1999
      Daiei's Kudoh threw a one hitter against the Nippon Ham Fighters last
      night (6/22) at Tokyo Dome. And Kudoh did it pitching to just one
      batter over the minimum. Nippon Ham's lone stranded runner was Ide, who
      hit a lead off double to start the 7th inning, right after Johjima
      commented to Kudoh about the no-hitter he had going. Kudoh allowed two
      other base runners, both walks, but they were both erased on double
      plays.

      The win puts Kudoh in a 4 way tie for most wins at 7. The shutout
      dropped his ERA to 2.00, .04 better than Lotte's Koroki. And to finish
      out the "Triple Crown" (OK, so it isn't the "real" Triple Crown"),
      Kudoh's 12 strike outs raised his strike out ratio to 8.49 per 9
      innings, breaking out Kuroki's 8.06 by almost half a batter per game.
      Kudoh trails Koroki in total number of strike outs by just 2 Ks (91 to
      89), and is tied with Koroki in second for best winning percentage at
      .700 (both are 7 and 3), .050 behind team mate Wakatabe (3 and 1).

      Has the old Kudoh of the championship Lions returned? It sure seems
      like he's been a bit of a disappointment since going to Daiei. His
      numbers haven't been necessarily bad, but I don't have the impression
      that they met expectations - which wasn't always Kudoh's fault as I seem
      to recall him losing a lot of one run games the past few years. (My
      impression, I don't have any numbers to back that up.)

      The win also puts Daiei 14 games over .500, tied with the record the
      team set a few days ago before dropping one to Seibu. The "record" I'm
      referring to is the most games over .500 that Daiei has been since Daiei
      bought the team in 1989. Daiei also increased their lead over second
      place Lotte (who was rained out) to 5 games, I believe their largest
      lead so far this season (or ever as Daiei?).

      After the game, Oh-kantoku must have confused himself with
      Nagashima-kantoku as he commented, "Wow, Kokubo threw well!" (Very loose
      translation.)

      Michael Westbay.

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/j-ball