[j-ball] Re: Re:Kida

  • Dave Hogg
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 16 6:34 PM
      On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Jim Allen wrote:
      > At 0:25 PM -0500 99.3.16, Dave Hogg wrote:
      >
      > > It looks like Kida will start the season in the bullpen,
      > > although he is the favorite to move into the starting rotation...
      >
      > Kida has been spectacular as a reliever the past two seasons as opposed to
      > just OK as a starter.

      In a perfect world, Parrish would much rather have Kida in the bullpen. He
      has said that he thinks is more suited to relief. But the Tiger starting
      rotation is so awful that anyone who can throw seven innings is going to
      get a chance to start.

      Dave

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball
    • Dan Weldin
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 17, 1999
        Is Masao Kida still with the Detroit Tigers?

        Dan
      • Jim Allen
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 18, 1999
          At 6:52 PM -0800 99.12.17, Dan Weldin wrote:
          > Is Masao Kida still with the Detroit Tigers?
          >
          > Dan

          Yes,
          Kida is still with the Tigers although he was a bit disappointed with his
          season overall. He said that the Tigers told him they would go after a big
          hitter and pitcher this winter. They got the hitter in Luis Gonzalez, but
          the pitcher has yet to materialize.

          This is the final year of his contract, so he's likely to go somewhere else
          next year, if he feels they have been jerking him around--as they probably
          have. When it was mentioned that the Tigers don't have that much money, he
          shook his head and said, "No, it's not that..."

          I'm not certain what he meant by that. They ARE a cheap organization
          though...

          Kida is a useful journeyman. He's a fitness nut, and he stays in great
          shape, but he has had trouble keeping focused. He often gets in trouble
          when you least expect it. It seems that he works really hard in order to
          give himself some breathing room and then lets up and can't figure out why
          he got beat...

          I hope he succeeds because he's a very nice guy.

          Jim
        • Dave Hogg
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 18, 1999
            On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Jim Allen wrote:
            > At 6:52 PM -0800 99.12.17, Dan Weldin wrote:
            > > Is Masao Kida still with the Detroit Tigers?
            >
            > Yes,
            > Kida is still with the Tigers although he was a bit disappointed with his
            > season overall. He said that the Tigers told him they would go after a big
            > hitter and pitcher this winter. They got the hitter in Luis Gonzalez, but
            > the pitcher has yet to materialize.

            That would be Juan Gonzalez, not Luis. And I don't know who told Masao
            that, but the pitcher isn't going to materialize. As Jim said, the Tigers
            are too cheap to pay the money that someone like Aaron Sele wants.

            Dave
          • Steve Yin
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 28 12:17 PM
              Gary:

              Your statement about Kida was not correct.

              From ESPN's transaction today:

              > Detroit Tigers
              > Optioned pitcher Masao Kida to Toledo of the
              >International League

              Kida has options, and he is still on 40-man roster,
              so he has not been WAIVED.

              --Steve Yin

              http://im.yahoo.com
            • W F Stevens
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 8, 2000
                For those who missed it, Masato Kida was released by the Detroit
                Tigers and his contract sold to the Orix Blue Wave.
                Bill