[j-ball] Masao Kida

  • Dave Hogg
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 16 6:29 PM
      > Line of the day for Kida: 1.666 innings, 5 hits, 5 runs, 5 ER, 2 walks,
      > and 1 K. It was reported that Parrish likes the performance of 98's
      > 1st rounder RHP Jeff Weaver so far, so if Florie falters, it might be
      > Jeff who takes over the No. 5 starter, not Kida, although it should be a
      > remote
      > possibility. My guess is that LHP CJ Nitkowski may possibly be inserted
      > to the rotation if needed and Tigers like what they see from LHP Will
      > Brunson.

      Parrish loves Jeff Weaver, but they really want to give him some time in
      Triple-A Toledo. And CJ is a possibility, but they remember how horrible
      he was as a starter during his last stint in Detroit.

      So Kida would have been the lesser of several evils. But between Florie's
      good outing on Monday night and Kida getting pounded today, it is a moot
      point for the near future.

      Dave

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball
    • Dave Hogg
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 16 6:34 PM
        On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Jim Allen wrote:
        > At 0:25 PM -0500 99.3.16, Dave Hogg wrote:
        >
        > > It looks like Kida will start the season in the bullpen,
        > > although he is the favorite to move into the starting rotation...
        >
        > Kida has been spectacular as a reliever the past two seasons as opposed to
        > just OK as a starter.

        In a perfect world, Parrish would much rather have Kida in the bullpen. He
        has said that he thinks is more suited to relief. But the Tiger starting
        rotation is so awful that anyone who can throw seven innings is going to
        get a chance to start.

        Dave

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball
      • Dan Weldin
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 17, 1999
          Is Masao Kida still with the Detroit Tigers?

          Dan
        • Jim Allen
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 18, 1999
            At 6:52 PM -0800 99.12.17, Dan Weldin wrote:
            > Is Masao Kida still with the Detroit Tigers?
            >
            > Dan

            Yes,
            Kida is still with the Tigers although he was a bit disappointed with his
            season overall. He said that the Tigers told him they would go after a big
            hitter and pitcher this winter. They got the hitter in Luis Gonzalez, but
            the pitcher has yet to materialize.

            This is the final year of his contract, so he's likely to go somewhere else
            next year, if he feels they have been jerking him around--as they probably
            have. When it was mentioned that the Tigers don't have that much money, he
            shook his head and said, "No, it's not that..."

            I'm not certain what he meant by that. They ARE a cheap organization
            though...

            Kida is a useful journeyman. He's a fitness nut, and he stays in great
            shape, but he has had trouble keeping focused. He often gets in trouble
            when you least expect it. It seems that he works really hard in order to
            give himself some breathing room and then lets up and can't figure out why
            he got beat...

            I hope he succeeds because he's a very nice guy.

            Jim
          • Dave Hogg
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 18, 1999
              On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Jim Allen wrote:
              > At 6:52 PM -0800 99.12.17, Dan Weldin wrote:
              > > Is Masao Kida still with the Detroit Tigers?
              >
              > Yes,
              > Kida is still with the Tigers although he was a bit disappointed with his
              > season overall. He said that the Tigers told him they would go after a big
              > hitter and pitcher this winter. They got the hitter in Luis Gonzalez, but
              > the pitcher has yet to materialize.

              That would be Juan Gonzalez, not Luis. And I don't know who told Masao
              that, but the pitcher isn't going to materialize. As Jim said, the Tigers
              are too cheap to pay the money that someone like Aaron Sele wants.

              Dave
            • Steve Yin
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 28 12:17 PM
                Gary:

                Your statement about Kida was not correct.

                From ESPN's transaction today:

                > Detroit Tigers
                > Optioned pitcher Masao Kida to Toledo of the
                >International League

                Kida has options, and he is still on 40-man roster,
                so he has not been WAIVED.

                --Steve Yin

                http://im.yahoo.com
              • W F Stevens
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 8, 2000
                  For those who missed it, Masato Kida was released by the Detroit
                  Tigers and his contract sold to the Orix Blue Wave.
                  Bill