[j-ball] Teams up for sale?

  • Dan Latham
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 1999
      Rob Magee wrote:

      > Of the 12 teams out there, I would venture the
      > three most likely to change hands are the BlueWave,
      > Hawks and Swallows. I admit, however, that I don't
      > know how badly Lotte was hit by The Great Crash in
      > Korea's economy.

      One other possibility. Maybe.

      Though I don't know how Kintetsu is doing financially, I've never been
      able to figure out why they bother to own a baseball team. Most teams are
      run as some sort of advertising for their parent company, but does a local
      Osaka railway really need publicity? I mean, if you live on the train
      line, you're gonna use it and if you don't, you're not. I realize that a
      lot of the train companies (Nishitetsu, Nankai, Hanshin, Kintetsu, etc.)
      originally sponsored baseball teams in order to increase ridership (since
      the ballparks were invariably located on each respective company's train
      lines). But the Buffaloes have never had high attendance, and they
      recently moved to Osaka Dome which is not served by any Kintetsu line.

      And now that the novelty of Osaka Dome has worn thin -- Kintetsu's home
      attendance dropped from 27,851 a game in 1997 to 18,382 last year -- I
      can't understand why they haven't sold the team already.

      I haven't heard about the Swallows taking "Yakult" off their uniforms (in
      anticipation selling the team?), but the Buffaloes will change their name
      to the "Osaka Kintetsu Buffaloes" next season. I really have no idea if
      this is the first step toward selling the team or just a public relations
      gesture.

      Dan Latham

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball
    • Michael Westbay
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 1999
        Latham-san wrote

        > Though I don't know how Kintetsu is doing financially, I've never been
        > able to figure out why they bother to own a baseball team. Most teams are
        > run as some sort of advertising for their parent company, but does a local
        > Osaka railway really need publicity?

        Kintetsu also runs a trucking/distribution company that services all of
        Japan. Haven't you seen trucks with bull horns on the top of them? I used
        to work at the Tokyo Ryutsu (Distribution) Center building in Heiwajima, and
        trucks from just about every trucking company in Japan go in and out of there
        all day. And Kintetsu has got quite a few. I imagine that they've got even
        a bigger set up in the Kansai area.

        > But the Buffaloes have never had high attendance, and they
        > recently moved to Osaka Dome which is not served by any Kintetsu line.

        Good point. I remember reading an article about how they couldn't even
        afford to rent the Osaka Dome for preseason games just before it opened. And
        the cost of some of their seats! It's amazing that they can draw that many
        fans. But the high cost of tickets is to help pay for the Dome. But since
        not people come, they have to charge more per ticket. And because the ticket
        prices are so expensive, many would be fans are deterred from going out to
        see a game.

        > I haven't heard about the Swallows taking "Yakult" off their uniforms (in
        > anticipation selling the team?), but the Buffaloes will change their name
        > to the "Osaka Kintetsu Buffaloes" next season. I really have no idea if
        > this is the first step toward selling the team or just a public relations
        > gesture.

        It it true this time? Or just another rumor? Kintetsu's owner first
        proposed the idea of taking "Kintetsu" from the name when the Osaka Dome was
        first opened so as to relate more to the community. Two seasons have then
        passed without any word of change. Where did you read (hear) that?

        I also haven't heard of "Yakult" being removed. But then, I've been rather
        sleepy on the morning train as of late. Maybe I'm missing some
        announcements.

        --
        ---
        Michael Westbay

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball
      • Jeffrey Sams
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 1999
          Orix is doing very well financially. I know they were surprised the PR effort needed, especially with Ichiro, but they are not in financial need.
               As for Yakult, they lost a ton of money in financial speculation, but the company is still flush with cash. It is possible they would prefer to focus on
          the main product and sell the team though.
              I have heard Daiei would be interested in selling but want to make a package deal with the Fukuoka dome(and the accompanying hotel).
              I know nothing of Kintetsu or Lotte`s situation.
          > Of the 12 teams out there, I would venture the > three most likely to change hands are the BlueWave, > Hawks and Swallows. I admit, however, that I don't > know how badly Lotte was hit by The Great Crash in > Korea's economy.
          One other possibility. Maybe. Though I don't know how Kintetsu is doing financially, I've never been able to figure out why they bother to own a baseball team. Most teams are run as some sort of advertising for their parent company, but does a local Osaka railway really need publicity? I mean, if you live on the train line, you're gonna use it and if you don't, you're not. I realize that a lot of the train companies (Nishitetsu, Nankai, Hanshin, Kintetsu, etc.) originally sponsored baseball teams in order to increase ridership (since the ballparks were invariably located on each respective company's train lines). But the Buffaloes have never had high attendance, and they recently moved to Osaka Dome which is not served by any Kintetsu line. And now that the novelty of Osaka Dome has worn thin -- Kintetsu's home attendance dropped from 27,851 a game in 1997 to 18,382 last year -- I can't understand why they haven't sold the team already. I haven't heard about the Swallows taking "Yakult" off their uniforms (in anticipation selling the team?), but the Buffaloes will change their name to the "Osaka Kintetsu Buffaloes" next season. I really have no idea if this is the first step toward selling the team or just a public relations gesture. Dan Latham

          --Click Here For Free File Storage!--