[j-ball] Re: East-West League

  • Dan Latham
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 1999
      ROB TRAINOR wrote:

      > How does the Eastern and Western Leagues work?
      > What are the teams in it and are there any other minor
      > leagues below these league?
      > Rob

      I'm sure there are others on this list who could probably give you a more
      complete answer, but here's a brief summary.

      There are only two levels of pro baseball in Japan:

      1-gun (top level) -- comprised of the Central and Pacific Leagues
      CL teams: BayStars, Giants, Swallows, Dragons, Carp, Tigers
      PL teams: Marines, Fighters, Lions, Buffaloes, BlueWave, Hawks

      2-gun (minor league level) -- comprised of the Eastern and Western Leagues
      EL teams: Marines, Fighters, Lions, Giants, Swallows, BayStars
      WL teams: Dragons, Buffaloes, Tigers, BlueWave, Carp, Hawks

      While CL and PL teams are scattered across Japan, Eastern and Western
      League teams are arranged geographically, with all the Tokyo-Yokohama
      metro-area teams in the Eastern League, and the other six in the Western.
      In fact, all of the six eastern league teams play within a 30-mile radius
      of central Tokyo.

      Each 1-gun team has a 2-gun affiliate which, in theory, is used to develop
      talent. 2-gun squads are also used as a scrapyard for extra talent and a
      place to "punish" 1-gun players who screw up or fall out of favor. Now
      that teams routinely sign 5+ foreign players (though they can only use
      four at a time on the top team), the 2-gun squad also contains surplus
      foreign players.

      There is no interleague play between Eastern and Western League teams. EL
      and WL teams both play a schedule of 100 games. They have a "Junior"
      all-star game in July and a championship game (series?) in early October.

      Minor league attendance is sparse. The largest crowd I've seen at a minor
      league game was about 1,000 (and one game I watched attracted a total of
      35 fans).

      Minor league games are not televised, nor are game summaries reported on
      any sports program. The English language press ignores the minor leagues,
      and the Japanese sports tabloids list very brief box scores for the minor
      leagues, but rarely any stories.

      Dan Latham

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball
    • Jeffrey Sams
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 1999
        One can get box scores of ni gun games in the Nikkan sports.
        How does the Eastern and Western Leagues work? What are the teams in it and
        are there any other minor leagues below these league?
        Rob

        --CLICK HERE NOW!--

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball
      • Michael Westbay
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 1999
          Jeffrey Sams wrote:

          > One can get box scores of ni gun games in the Nikkan sports.

          Can you call those box scores? More like extended line scores.

          --
          ---
          Michael Westbay

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball