[j-ball] East-West League

  • Rob Trainor
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 1999
      How does the Eastern and Western Leagues work? What are the teams in it and
      are there any other minor leagues below these league?
      Rob

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball
    • Dan Latham
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 1999
        ROB TRAINOR wrote:

        > How does the Eastern and Western Leagues work?
        > What are the teams in it and are there any other minor
        > leagues below these league?
        > Rob

        I'm sure there are others on this list who could probably give you a more
        complete answer, but here's a brief summary.

        There are only two levels of pro baseball in Japan:

        1-gun (top level) -- comprised of the Central and Pacific Leagues
        CL teams: BayStars, Giants, Swallows, Dragons, Carp, Tigers
        PL teams: Marines, Fighters, Lions, Buffaloes, BlueWave, Hawks

        2-gun (minor league level) -- comprised of the Eastern and Western Leagues
        EL teams: Marines, Fighters, Lions, Giants, Swallows, BayStars
        WL teams: Dragons, Buffaloes, Tigers, BlueWave, Carp, Hawks

        While CL and PL teams are scattered across Japan, Eastern and Western
        League teams are arranged geographically, with all the Tokyo-Yokohama
        metro-area teams in the Eastern League, and the other six in the Western.
        In fact, all of the six eastern league teams play within a 30-mile radius
        of central Tokyo.

        Each 1-gun team has a 2-gun affiliate which, in theory, is used to develop
        talent. 2-gun squads are also used as a scrapyard for extra talent and a
        place to "punish" 1-gun players who screw up or fall out of favor. Now
        that teams routinely sign 5+ foreign players (though they can only use
        four at a time on the top team), the 2-gun squad also contains surplus
        foreign players.

        There is no interleague play between Eastern and Western League teams. EL
        and WL teams both play a schedule of 100 games. They have a "Junior"
        all-star game in July and a championship game (series?) in early October.

        Minor league attendance is sparse. The largest crowd I've seen at a minor
        league game was about 1,000 (and one game I watched attracted a total of
        35 fans).

        Minor league games are not televised, nor are game summaries reported on
        any sports program. The English language press ignores the minor leagues,
        and the Japanese sports tabloids list very brief box scores for the minor
        leagues, but rarely any stories.

        Dan Latham

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball
      • Jeffrey Sams
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 1999
          One can get box scores of ni gun games in the Nikkan sports.
          How does the Eastern and Western Leagues work? What are the teams in it and
          are there any other minor leagues below these league?
          Rob

          --CLICK HERE NOW!--

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball
        • Michael Westbay
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 1999
            Jeffrey Sams wrote:

            > One can get box scores of ni gun games in the Nikkan sports.

            Can you call those box scores? More like extended line scores.

            --
            ---
            Michael Westbay

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/j-ball