[j-ball] Duncan

  • Jim Allen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 1998
      Rob,
      Point well taken. I disagree with you about Duncan's talent. Duncan may be
      a slightly better than average middle infielder at this stage in his
      career. In fact, I would say his talent is about as valuable as Goto's.
      Your description of Duncan's handling in the Majors is a perfect match for
      how Motoki has been handled in Japan. It is possible that Duncan is a
      better player than Motoki, but I wouldn't put any money on it. The point I
      was trying to make is this: the Giants had no one to replace Manto with but
      dumped him in a fit.

      Duncan is an OK player now, but because of his lack of plate discipline and
      his age, he has no future here. Therefore, there is no reason to play him
      ahead of Motoki or Nishi who are comparable or better players. Goto you can
      argue about. I agree that Japanese teams are far too paranoid about
      strikeouts. Kiyohara's Ks last year didn't mean anything and neither do
      Duncans this year.
      Jim

      At 9:03 AM -0400 98.6.30, rob fitts wrote:
      > Hi Jim
      > I usually don't respond to these debates but as I fan of Duncan I must
      >take
      > exception to your conclusion that Nishi Motoki and Goto are better
      >players than
      > Duncan. I've followed Duncan's career closely as he played on two of my
      > favorite teams (the 93 Phillies and the 96 Yankees). He is a real
      >diamond in
      > the rough. On both teams, the managers tried to replace him as he looks
      >so
      > awkward in the field and strikes out so much. Yet beacuse of injuries
      >they
      > were force to play him. Playing everyday, he came through in the clutch
      >over
      > and over. He is prone to slumps, but when he gets hot he's the one you
      >want
      > up. If the Giants want him to produce he must play everyday. I know the
      > Giants don't think this way, so he is probably doomed for failure- but I
      >still
      > think you cannot compare him to these average japanese players.
      > rob fitts

      ----
      Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/j-ball/
    • westbay
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 1998
        > Point well taken. I disagree with you about Duncan's talent. Duncan may be
        > a slightly better than average middle infielder at this stage in his
        > career. In fact, I would say his talent is about as valuable as Goto's.
        > Your description of Duncan's handling in the Majors is a perfect match for
        > how Motoki has been handled in Japan. It is possible that Duncan is a
        > better player than Motoki, but I wouldn't put any money on it. The point I
        > was trying to make is this: the Giants had no one to replace Manto with but
        > dumped him in a fit.

        There were several points on this thread that I wanted to comment on. First
        off, the Giants (Nabe) seem to be short tempered with their foreign players of
        late. They want a "Mack-rashii" player, but Mack wasn't good enough. (I still
        can't believe they didn't resign him, and that's when they became short fused
        with their yearly imported infielders.)

        The press (well, radio announcers) didn't attack Duncan like they attacked
        Manto and Luis. Why was that? Because even with a batting average under .200,
        he hit several home runs in key situations the first month. Duncan was played
        up as an average hitter, then came through as a power hitter during open-sen
        and the beginning of the season. IMHO, it was his home runs that have kept him
        here this long. Even Nagashima-kantoku had mostly good things to say about
        Duncan. It was just Watanabe-owner that's been bad mouthing him all along, and
        after Duncan tried to relate to him with his father having just gone through
        prostate surgery like Nabetsu.

        As for Matsui batting just under Duncan for a while this season but continued
        getting playing time, that's an easy one to explain. Matsui is in the midst of
        a consecutive game/inning streak that the Giants want to continue. For over
        the past two seasons, Matsui has played every inning of every game the Giants
        have played. He even played every inning of non-season games up until his knee
        injury kept him out a bit in the pre-season this year. There was talk that
        Matsui might sit out a few innings (never a whole game) during the first month,
        but the Giants won't seem to do it. The Giants want records, and they'll use
        Matsui until his legs can't carry him any more.

        --
        Michael, Margarita, and Jobana Westbay
        Japan Pro Yakyu This Week

        ----
        Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/j-ball/
      • rob fitts
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 1998
          good to hear from you
          rob

          ----
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 1998
            At 8:42 AM +0900 98.7.2, westbay wrote:
            > As for Matsui batting just under Duncan for a while this season but
            >continued
            > getting playing time, that's an easy one to explain. Matsui is in the
            >midst of
            > a consecutive game/inning streak that the Giants want to continue. For
            >over
            > the past two seasons, Matsui has played every inning of every game the
            >Giants
            > have played. He even played every inning of non-season games up until
            >his knee
            > injury kept him out a bit in the pre-season this year. There was talk
            >that
            > Matsui might sit out a few innings (never a whole game) during the first
            >month,
            > but the Giants won't seem to do it. The Giants want records, and they'll
            >use
            > Matsui until his legs can't carry him any more.

            I agree, in regards to his early season slump. He wasn't swinging well and
            a day or two of rest wouldn't have hurt the team and might have helped them
            pick up an extra game in the standings. As for using Matsui's lousy
            performance as an example of how the Giants trash foreigners, that's
            nonsense. You don't dump Matsui because he is the best hitter in japanese
            baseball, period. With other players, Duncan, Louis, Manto et al, there was
            a shade of doubt about their ability to adjust to the game (including all
            the crap that goes with being a Giant--the kind osf stuff that Kiyohara and
            Nishi went through last season.)

            Jim

            ----
            Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/j-ball/
          • Michael Westbay
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 1998
              > > As for Matsui batting just under Duncan for a while this season but
              > continued
              > > getting playing time, that's an easy one to explain. [...]
              >
              > [...] As for using Matsui's lousy
              > performance as an example of how the Giants trash foreigners, that's
              > nonsense.

              No, you misunderstood what I was saying. This wasn't an example of why the
              Giants trash foreigners. It's an example of why Matsui didn't get the same
              treatment that Duncan got when he was batting lower than Duncan at one point.