Japanese Baseball stats

  • Stuart Hughes
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2004

      Hi

      I don’t know if any of you are aware of the Diamond Mind baseball game but I’m looking to create a database of Japanese baseball players based on their career stats for inclusion.

      I have purchased a book I’ve been recommended, “Japanese Baseball: A Statistical Handbook” by Daniel E Johnson.  It contains batting and pitching stats for all Batting Championship and Earned Run Average Championship qualifiers for the seasons 1936-1997, plus all-time records, and a list of some 120 players who have been elected into the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame.

      Unfortunately the book does not list fielding stats or playing position and does not really help with some of the subjective stats.

      I would be very interested in help and advice on where I can find the following: -

      Fielding stats for Japanese players, both career and season by season

      Career Total Batting stats for Japanese players

      Career Total Pitching stats for Japanese players

      Positions played stats for Japanese players

      Photos of Japanese players

      I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help or point me in the right direction.

      Stuart Hughes

      Telephone: 01773 880428

      Mobile: 07736 165291

      www.fodfbl.co.uk

    • Gene Newman
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2004
        Stuart,

        I do the same thing for a great old game, the Cadaco All Star Baseball Game, originally known as Ethan All Star Baseball Game.

        Assuming you read Japanese, the most useful book for your purpose is "The Official Baseball Encyclopedia 2004".  It's published by Baseball Magazine-sha and, at 16,000 Yen, is NOT cheap.  But it has everything you'd need EXCEPT fielding stats and photos.  Fortunately for me, the Cadaco game doesn't need fielding data.  It does have season-by-season and career totals, both pitching and hitting.  It does have positions played.  I hope this has been helpful.

        Gene

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004

          Gene wrote: “ I do the same thing for a great old game, the Cadaco All Star Baseball Game, originally known as Ethan All Star Baseball Game.  Assuming you read Japanese, the most useful book for your purpose is "The Official Baseball Encyclopedia 2004".  It's published by Baseball Magazine-sha and, at 16,000 Yen, is NOT cheap.  But it has everything you'd need EXCEPT fielding stats and photos.  Fortunately for me, the Cadaco game doesn't need fielding data.  It does have season-by-season and career totals, both pitching and hitting.  It does have positions played.  I hope this has been helpful.”

          Thanks Gene.  Unfortunately I don’t read Japanese.  Do you have the stats you’ve used available in Excel by any chance or would you ber able to export them from Cadaco into Excel?

          Any other possible sources?

          Stuart Hughes

          Telephone: 01773 880428

          Mobile: 07736 165291

          www.fodfbl.co.uk

        • Edward R. Mortimer
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
            I am almost finished with a set of greates players modeled after the Biamond Mind MLB
            Greatest Players Disk. There is a good amount of data available free on the Web if you
            look: for starters try these sites:

            http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/index.jsp
            http://www.inter.co.jp/Baseball/player/register/great/index.html
            http://www.robsjapanesecards.com/
            http://ww1.baywell.ne.jp/fpweb/drlatham/site/sitemap.htm
            http://baseballguru.com/

            On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:46:54 -0000, Stuart Hughes wrote:

            >I dont know if any of you are aware of the Diamond Mind baseball game but Im looking
            to create a database of Japanese baseball players based on their career stats for
            inclusion.

            Best Regards,

            Ed Mortimer

            "When we remember that we are all mad,
            the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."

            -- Samuel Clemens --
          • Gene Newman
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
              All of the stats that I used are already input into my Excel discmaker.  I'm not quite sure how to go about sending them to you.

              I have made a number of Japanese sets:  two sets of all-time greats (now merged into one; I'll be redoing them, though, because my original discmaker was fairly limited in how I could manipulate the disc appearance); a 140-disc set of the best foreign players in Japan through the 1999 season; two of the earlier Japan Series teams (1950 and 1958); since 2000, the top hitters and pitchers from both leagues; and beginning with the 2003 season, the same all star sets plus the two Japan Series teams.

              So we don't bore the folks here, why don't you go to my email link and contact me directly so we can figure out how to get to you the stats you need.

              Gene

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
                I too am creating a Diamond Mind disk of all-time Japanese players
                using their career stats, and would add one more source to Ed's
                excellent list:

                http://www.japanbaseballdaily.com/DataWarehouse.html

                and also mention that I have fielding data in an excel file for 1992-
                2002.

                THANKS,
                Kevin

                --- In j-ball@yahoogroups.com, "Edward R. Mortimer" <emortimer@w...>