Mr. Baseball is sick.

  • Matthew DeLang
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4 7:10 PM
      Shigeo Nagashima "Mr. Basball" just had a stroke. I don't know all
      the details yet. But we shuold wish him the best of health. Odaigini.
      Matt
    • Westbay Family
      • Westbay Family
        • R. Webster
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5 11:25 AM
             An update from Yomiuri Shimbun...

            Nagashima's stroke not life-threatening

            Yomiuri Shimbun

            A doctor said Friday that legendary baseball great Shigeo Nagashima had suffered a stroke caused by a brain embolism.

            At a press conference at Tokyo Women's Medical University Hospital, Shinichiro Uchiyama said the blood clot probably formed in the left atrium and then traveled through blood vessels to the brain.

            Nagashima, 68, lifetime honorary manager of the Yomiuri Giants and currently manager of the nation's Olympic baseball team, complained of feeling ill Thursday morning, the doctor said. He was first taken to an affiliated hospital for an examination and was sent to the university hospital in Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo, later in the day.

            After a CT scan and other examinations, Nagashima was found to have an infarction in the left cerebrum accompanied by mild paralysis on the right side of his body, according to Uchiyama, professor of neurology at the hospital.

            "The level of infarction is moderate. We can't say it's not serious, but it's not life-threatening," Uchiyama said.

            The doctor also said Nagashima would not require surgery, but would be treated with medication.

            Regarding the Athens Olympics in August, Uchiyama said, "It's too early to talk about the future because the patient's condition is not yet stable." But he added, "I think I'll be able to give a more definite prognosis after seeing how things develop over the next week or two."

            Nagashima's son, Kazushige, who attended Friday's press conference, said his father's driver first suspected something was wrong when his father uncharacteristically overslept.

            Kazushige said the driver thought it was strange that Nagashima had not got up, but let him sleep for about two hours, thinking he was just tired. When the driver took him to the hospital later on, he seemed dizzy and had trouble moving, Kazushige said.

            Kazushige said his father remained conscious throughout Friday morning.

            "Although he can't talk normally at the moment, he looks much better than yesterday," Kazushige said.

            "What happened to the right side of my body?" Nagashima reportedly asked his son in a slurred voice."Why is this happening?" Kazushige said he assumed the pressure of serving as manager of the national team was a factor in the stroke.

            Westbay Family <westbay@...> wrote:

            Do you Yahoo!?