Gaijin career stats

  • edwardmortimer
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2, 2004
      Gentlemen,

      Can someone point me to a website(s) where the career Japanese
      baseball stats of Boomer Wells, Ralph Bryant, Daryl Spencer & Dave
      Roberts can be found? I'm looking for as many stats as possible, but
      especially essentials like doubles, triples and strikeouts, as well as
      more esoteric ones like Sac Flies, GIDP, HBP, IWW, etc. I have the
      normal basics of hits AB, HR, RBI etc. Thank you.
    • Gene Newman
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 2, 2004
        Here are the stats for those you requested, in the following order:

        AB/H/2b/3b/HR/BB/K/avg/SB/SB att/

        Wells:  4451/1413/210/8/277/389/333/.317/18/33

        Bryant:  2404/757/145/25/61/219/267/.315/27/47

        Spencer:  2233/615/120/3/152/371/399/275/6/15

        Roberts:  2774/764/124/8/183/354/421/275/22/36

        I had these at hand because I used them to make a set of 170 player discs for the Cadaco All Star Baseball Game.  This particular set was of the best foreign players to have played in Japan through 1999.  They are all in-Japan career stats.

        I hope this is helpful.

        Gene

        Can someone point me to a website(s) where the career Japanese
        baseball stats of Boomer Wells, Ralph Bryant, Daryl Spencer & Dave
        Roberts can be found?  I'm looking for as many stats as possible, but
        especially essentials like doubles, triples and strikeouts, as well as
        more esoteric ones like Sac Flies, GIDP, HBP, IWW, etc.  I have the
        normal basics of hits AB, HR, RBI etc. Thank you.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • aladdinsane75
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 2, 2004
          Hi Edward:

          Email me privately and I can provide those to you if it is just
          those four players. I might have to do it as an attachment, though. Just
          so that you know.

          Take care,

          Gary
          http://www.BaseballGuru.com

          edwardmortimer wrote:

          > Gentlemen,
          >
          > Can someone point me to a website(s) where the career Japanese
          > baseball stats of Boomer Wells, Ralph Bryant, Daryl Spencer & Dave
          > Roberts can be found? I'm looking for as many stats as possible, but
          > especially essentials like doubles, triples and strikeouts, as well as
          >
          > more esoteric ones like Sac Flies, GIDP, HBP, IWW, etc. I have the
          > normal basics of hits AB, HR, RBI etc. Thank you.

          > Service.

        • Edward R. Mortimer
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 2, 2004
            Gene,

            Thank you very much. I am making a set of All-Time Japanese League
            Greats for Diamond Mind Baseball -- both to use with their MLB All-Time
            Greats product, and to stand alone as well. I had left these guys to
            almost the end.

            On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:38:28 -0600, Gene Newman wrote:

            >Here are the stats for those you requested, in the following order:
            >
            >AB/H/2b/3b/HR/BB/K/avg/SB/SB att/
            >
            >Wells: 4451/1413/210/8/277/389/333/.317/18/33
            >
            >Bryant: 2404/757/145/25/61/219/267/.315/27/47
            >
            >Spencer: 2233/615/120/3/152/371/399/275/6/15
            >
            >Roberts: 2774/764/124/8/183/354/421/275/22/36
            >
            >I had these at hand because I used them to make a set of 170 player discs for the Cadaco All Star Baseball Game. This particular set was of the best foreign players to have played in Japan through 1999. They are all in-Japan career stats.
            >
            >I hope this is helpful.

            Best Regards

            Ed Mortimer

            "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.

            -- Anais Nin --
          • Gene Newman
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 2, 2004
              Hiya Gary,

              We must have answered at about the same time.

              Wow, I just checked the time your email went out and the time mine went out (as you know, Yahoo sends copies of your own emails to you).  Mine went out at 6:46 and yours at 6:49!!

              BTW, I really love that website.

              Gene

              edwardmortimer wrote:

              >  Gentlemen,
              >
              > Can someone point me to a website(s) where the career Japanese
              > baseball stats of Boomer Wells, Ralph Bryant, Daryl Spencer & Dave
              > Roberts can be found?  I'm looking for as many stats as possible, but
              > especially essentials like doubles, triples and strikeouts, as well as
              >
              > more esoteric ones like Sac Flies, GIDP, HBP, IWW, etc.  I have the
              > normal basics of hits AB, HR, RBI etc. Thank you.

              >    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              >      Service.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Gene Newman
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 2, 2004
                Sounds like similar projects, just two different games.  My all-time Japan set consists of 43 position players and 29 pitchers.  Originally I had 30 position players and 10 pitchers, but my friend Dan Johnson persuaded me to add the additional ones.

                BTW, do you frequent any of the tabletop sports forums on Delphi.  There are a handful of them and I visit them all from time to time.  But the one Delphi forum I spend the most time on is one devoted to University of Alabama sports.  It's a private forum and there are some fantastic people on there including former players, sports writers, and an ESPN anchor whom I won't name.

                Because I really try to add modifications to the All Star Baseball game, I like to visit the others because there are frequently some excellent ideas.

                Please stay in touch.  If you wish, you can contact me via email, 'cause I know that the owner of this forum doesn't like for conversations to stray from Japanese baseball.

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 2, 2004
                  Gene,

                  I'm here and there in the internet world, but I'm not on any Delphi
                  forums. I will check them out though.

                  Currently I have 148 players for this set. That includes those four.
                  I have to find some more stats for at least two more players --
                  probably two of these guys: Takumi Otomo, Takashi Nishimoto, Shoichi
                  Ono, Fumio Narita and Hisao Niura. Then again, if I can find more
                  stats in English I will continue on to 175 players. I have 47 pitchers
                  and 101 position players. I did make an arbitrary decision to only
                  take those players with at least 8 years experience, and not currently
                  playing in Japan or the USA. I plan to add the current players later
                  in an update after they retire.

                  --Original Message Text---

                  Thank you very much. I am making a set of All-Time Japanese League
                  Greats for Diamond Mind Baseball -- both to use with their MLB All-Time
                  Greats product, and to stand alone as well. I had left these guys to
                  almost the end.

                  On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:38:28 -0600, Gene Newman wrote:

                  >Here are the stats for those you requested, in the following order:
                  >
                  >AB/H/2b/3b/HR/BB/K/avg/SB/SB att/
                  >
                  >Wells: 4451/1413/210/8/277/389/333/.317/18/33
                  >
                  >Bryant: 2404/757/145/25/61/219/267/.315/27/47
                  >
                  >Spencer: 2233/615/120/3/152/371/399/275/6/15
                  >
                  >Roberts: 2774/764/124/8/183/354/421/275/22/36
                  >
                  >I had these at hand because I used them to make a set of 170 player discs for the Cadaco All Star Baseball Game. This particular set was of the best foreign players to have played in Japan through 1999. They are all in-Japan career stats.
                  >
                  >I hope this is helpful.

                  Best Regards

                  Ed Mortimer

                  "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.

                  -- Anais Nin --

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 2, 2004
                    Give me until tomorrow and I'll get them for you.  I'll also send you links to the game forums I visit.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 2, 2004
                      Gene,

                      Thank you very much. When I'm done I'll post the set in the Files
                      section for everyone, if that's OK with the Moderator.

                      On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:42:17 -0600, Gene Newman wrote:

                      >Give me until tomorrow and I'll get them for you. I'll also send you links to the game forums I visit.

                      Best Regards

                      Ed Mortimer

                      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.

                      -- Anais Nin --
                    • Robert Fitts
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 3, 2004
                        Hi
                        Does any body have a copy of the 1994 Baseball Record Book?
                        I need to see a box score of the July 4 game between the Swallows and
                        the Giants. I want to know if Jack Howell hit a sayonara HR that day.
                        If anybody could help, I'd really appreciate it
                        thanks
                        rob fitts

                        > * Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                      • Jim Allen
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 3, 2004
                          Rob,

                          Bingo. He did indeed.

                          Jim
                          on 2/4/04 2:54 AM, Robert Fitts at ochiai@... wrote:

                          > Hi
                          > Does any body have a copy of the 1994 Baseball Record Book?
                          > I need to see a box score of the July 4 game between the Swallows and
                          > the Giants. I want to know if Jack Howell hit a sayonara HR that day.
                          > If anybody could help, I'd really appreciate it
                          > thanks
                          > rob fitts
                        • Robert Fitts
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 3, 2004
                            AWESOME!
                            Thanks Jim. I needed it to confirm a story in an interview I did with
                            him for my book
                            rob

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 11, 2004
                              A some point in the 1993 or 1994, Ralph Bryant hit the roof of the Tokyo
                              Dome and the pop fly was declared a HR. Can anybody tell me the date of
                              this game?

                              thanks
                              Rob Fitts

                            • danjohnsonjapanbb
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 11, 2004
                                --- In j-ball@yahoogroups.com, Robert Fitts <ochiai@m...> wrote:

                                > A some point in the 1993 or 1994, Ralph Bryant hit the roof of the
                                Tokyo
                                > Dome and the pop fly was declared a HR. Can anybody tell me the
                                date of
                                > this game?
                                >
                                > thanks
                                > Rob Fitts

                                Hi Rob,

                                On June 6, 1990 Kintetsu Buffaloes designated hitter Ralph Bryant
                                smashed a home run that hit the ceiling speakers at the Tokyo Dome.
                                He hit it off of Nippon Ham Fighters left-hander Mitsuo Sumi, and if
                                the ball hadn't hit the speakers, it would have traveled an estimated
                                558 feet from home plate!! By the way, the Buffaloes lost the game, 9-
                                5. Could this be the game that you're looking for?

                                --Daniel Johnson
                              • Robert Fitts
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 11, 2004
                                  perfect!
                                  thanks, Dan

                                  rob

                                  danjohnsonjapanbb wrote:

                                  >--- In j-ball@yahoogroups.com, Robert Fitts <ochiai@m...> wrote:
                                  >

                                  >>A some point in the 1993 or 1994, Ralph Bryant hit the roof of the
                                  >>

                                  >Tokyo
                                  >

                                  >>Dome and the pop fly was declared a HR. Can anybody tell me the
                                  >>

                                  >date of
                                  >

                                  >>this game?
                                  >>
                                  >>thanks
                                  >>Rob Fitts
                                  >>

                                  >Hi Rob,
                                  >
                                  >On June 6, 1990 Kintetsu Buffaloes designated hitter Ralph Bryant
                                  >smashed a home run that hit the ceiling speakers at the Tokyo Dome.
                                  >He hit it off of Nippon Ham Fighters left-hander Mitsuo Sumi, and if
                                  >the ball hadn't hit the speakers, it would have traveled an estimated
                                  >558 feet from home plate!! By the way, the Buffaloes lost the game, 9-
                                  >5. Could this be the game that you're looking for?
                                  >
                                  >--Daniel Johnson
                                  >

                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • aladdinsane75
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 11, 2004
                                    Hi Rob:

                                    6/6/1990 at Tokyo Dome against Nippon Ham in the fourth inning. It
                                    was actually a high drive, not
                                    a pop fly. It was estimated to have the trajectory of a 160 meter shot
                                    had it not hit the speaker in centerfield.

                                    Take care,

                                    Gary
                                    http://www.BaseballGuru.com

                                    Robert Fitts wrote:

                                    > A some point in the 1993 or 1994, Ralph Bryant hit the roof of the
                                    > Tokyo
                                    > Dome and the pop fly was declared a HR. Can anybody tell me the date
                                    > of
                                    > this game?
                                    >
                                    > thanks
                                    > Rob Fitts

                                    > Service.

                                  • Robert Fitts
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
                                      thanks!
                                      rob

                                      aladdinsane75 wrote:

                                      >Hi Rob:
                                      >
                                      > 6/6/1990 at Tokyo Dome against Nippon Ham in the fourth inning. It
                                      >was actually a high drive, not
                                      >a pop fly. It was estimated to have the trajectory of a 160 meter shot
                                      >had it not hit the speaker in centerfield.
                                      >
                                      >Take care,
                                      >
                                      >Gary
                                      >http://www.BaseballGuru.com
                                      >
                                      >Robert Fitts wrote:
                                      >

                                      >>A some point in the 1993 or 1994, Ralph Bryant hit the roof of the
                                      >>Tokyo
                                      >>Dome and the pop fly was declared a HR. Can anybody tell me the date
                                      >>of
                                      >>this game?
                                      >>
                                      >>thanks
                                      >>Rob Fitts

                                      >> Service.
                                      >>

                                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Robert Fitts
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 19, 2004

                                        >Does anybody know the rules for admittance for the Japanese Hall of Fame. How many years does a player have before he is no longer eligible as an active player?

                                        thanks
                                        Rob Fitts