Bobby Valentine

  • seanandlaura
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
      I just heard on Jim Rome that Bobby Valentine signed (or will sign) a
      deal to manage Chiba Lotte. He then made the comment that managing a
      Japanese team is the kind of job you take when you can't get a job in
      the big leagues. I might have thought the same in the past, but as I
      seek more exposure to Japanese baseball that kind of attitude
      irritates me. Why do people have that attitude, that Japanese
      baseball is somehow lesser than American? They consider it a minor
      league until a player like Ichiro excels in America and is up for
      rookie of the year, and then they say, "Oh, he can't be rookie of the
      year, he already played 10 years of professional baseball."

      I just don't get it.
    • Joshua A. Reyer
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
        On Monday 03 November 2003 11:47, seanandlaura wrote:
        > I just heard on Jim Rome that Bobby Valentine signed (or will sign) a
        > deal to manage Chiba Lotte. He then made the comment that managing a
        > Japanese team is the kind of job you take when you can't get a job in
        > the big leagues. I might have thought the same in the past, but as I
        > seek more exposure to Japanese baseball that kind of attitude
        > irritates me.

        What makes Rome's comment especially uninsightful is that the Red Sox were
        rumored to be interested in Valentine, *and* that Valentine signed with Lotte
        for a reported 10-oku yen (roughly $10 million) over 3 years. $3.3 million a
        year is a pretty damn competitive price for a manager. If Valentine can't
        get a job in MLB, I guess he'll cry about it all the way to the bank.

        Josh Reyer
      • Rafael Amaya
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
          Jim Rome is an idiot.

          Anyway, I'm glad to see Bobby V return to Japan. He left on not so good
          terms the last time he was there. He managed the Marines before, didn't he?
          The Marines did quite well under his tenure, if I recall correctly

          I've always been impressed by Valentine. From the media, he can be pretty
          smarmy, but anyone who is willing to learn spanish so he can better
          communicate with his Latin players, or someone who is willing to undertake a
          job like this has my respect. MLB has NO IDEA as to the kind of goodwill
          ambassador they have in Mr. Valentine

          Best of luck to Bobby Valentine and the Chiba Lotte Marines

          >From: "seanandlaura" <jesustime@...>
          >To: j-ball@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [j-ball] Bobby Valentine
          >Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:47:29 -0000
          >
          >I just heard on Jim Rome that Bobby Valentine signed (or will sign) a
          >deal to manage Chiba Lotte. He then made the comment that managing a
          >Japanese team is the kind of job you take when you can't get a job in
          >the big leagues. I might have thought the same in the past, but as I
          >seek more exposure to Japanese baseball that kind of attitude
          >irritates me. Why do people have that attitude, that Japanese
          >baseball is somehow lesser than American? They consider it a minor
          >league until a player like Ichiro excels in America and is up for
          >rookie of the year, and then they say, "Oh, he can't be rookie of the
          >year, he already played 10 years of professional baseball."
          >
          >I just don't get it.

          Send instant messages to anyone on your contact list with MSN Messenger
          6.0. Try it now FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com