Re: [j-ball] baseball

  • Westbay Family
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 24 6:10 PM
      Newman-san wrote:

      > Your mention of babelfish drew my attention.  For Japanese, I really
      > do not have to use it, but for other languages I have tried it with,
      > the translations have ranged from terrible to absolutely awful!  How
      > is it with Japanese?

      Amusing is the word I use often for it. Awful works, too.

      It really depends on the subject. For baseball articles, it's quicker
      than looking up some words I don't know or am vague about in a
      dictionary. For stats pages - don't even try!

      I've had a writer from ESPNdeportes.com write to my site often -
      usually in Spainish. Between my wife and the Fish, I translate his
      comments - which isn't easy as Dominican Spainish is different than
      Mexian Spanish. His piece entitled "Millar wins, baseball loses"
      becomes "Thousand won, but the baseball lost." I especially like the
      "Boston Red Averages" as a translation. :-)

      http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/
      urltrurl?tt=url&url=http%3A%2F%2Fespndeportes.espn.go.com%2Fbeisbol%2Fco
      lumnas%2Frojasenriquecol030218.html&lp=es_en

      (Above URL should all be on one line.)

      By the way, Garland-san brought up a point a couple days ago that I was
      wondering myself, has Millar made his formal, public apology, yet? I
      haven't seen it either.

      ---
      Michael Westbay
      Writer/System Administrator
      http://JapaneseBaseball.com
    • Rafael Amaya
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 24 6:26 PM
        >From: Westbay Family <westbay@...>
        >To: j-ball@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [j-ball] baseball
        >Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:10:40 +0900
        >
        >By the way, Garland-san brought up a point a couple days ago that I was
        >wondering myself, has Millar made his formal, public apology, yet? I
        >haven't seen it either.

        I respectfully say, "don't hold your breath waiting"

      • Kevin Saldana
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 24 9:17 PM
          Gene,
          I have only tried it once or twice. I would say that terrible about covers it. I was basically able to pick up the gist of the information. Alot of stuff I think had holes in it. Until most of us on the list are able to afford a good you have to pay for translator, this I think this the best we are going to get. I have not had anytime lately to do any Japanese BB research. I have been spending what little free time I have on spring training and the US minor Leagues.
          Have a great spring,
          Kevin

          On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:08:38 -0600 Gene Newman <gnewman1@...> wrote:
          Kevin,

          Your mention of babelfish drew my attention. For Japanese, I really do not have to use it, but for other languages I have tried it with, the translations have ranged from terrible to absolutely awful! How is it with Japanese?

          Gene

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 25 1:34 PM
            If you really want some laughs, try it with some baseball terms in Korean.  Fortunately, I have some friends who help me with that!

[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor