Re: [j-ball] wally yonamine and MLB tour question

  • Patrick Gary
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2002
      I don't know the original source, but I know that in Total Baseball 2nd
      edition, in the Japanese Baseball article by Yoichi Nagata and John B.
      Holloway, under their "foreign players" section they mention that story.

      "Another Nisei, Jun Hirota, caught for the Giants. When the New York Giants
      arrived in 1953, manager Leo Durocher, coaching at first, abandoned signals
      and merely told his runners "go down on the next pitch." Hirota calmly threw
      them out. Leo didn't know Jun was a graduate of the University of Hawaii."

      Not sure that that's the story you're looking for, but it's the only one I
      know.
      P@

      Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 09:08:50 -0500

      Hi
      I'm writing an article of the MLB tours of Japanese and I can't find a
      source.
      I remember a story where the MLB players were using English instead of signs
      assuming that the Japanese would not understand them. But they didn't
      realize that Yonamine and other player Hirota? spoke English.
      Does anybody know the source for this story?
      If you do please email me right away as the article deadline in Monday
      thanks
      rob fitts

      RobsJapaneseCards.com
      http://www.robsjapanesecards.com

      Get faster connections�-- switch to�MSN Internet Access!
    • ochiai
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2002
        Hi
        Yes, that's it! Thanks!
        For the record, the original source seems to be Holway's book- Japan is Big
        League in Thrills
        thanks again
        rob