wally yonamine and MLB tour question

  • ochiai
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2002
      Hi
      I'm writing an article of the MLB tours of Japanese and I can't find a source.
      I remember a story where the MLB players were using English instead of signs assuming that the Japanese would not understand them.  But they didn't realize that Yonamine and other player Hirota? spoke English.
      Does anybody know the source for this story?
      If you do please email me right away as the article deadline in Monday
      thanks
      rob fitts

    • Patrick Gary
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2002
        I don't know the original source, but I know that in Total Baseball 2nd
        edition, in the Japanese Baseball article by Yoichi Nagata and John B.
        Holloway, under their "foreign players" section they mention that story.

        "Another Nisei, Jun Hirota, caught for the Giants. When the New York Giants
        arrived in 1953, manager Leo Durocher, coaching at first, abandoned signals
        and merely told his runners "go down on the next pitch." Hirota calmly threw
        them out. Leo didn't know Jun was a graduate of the University of Hawaii."

        Not sure that that's the story you're looking for, but it's the only one I
        know.
        P@

        I'm writing an article of the MLB tours of Japanese and I can't find a
        source.
        I remember a story where the MLB players were using English instead of signs
        assuming that the Japanese would not understand them. But they didn't
        realize that Yonamine and other player Hirota? spoke English.
        Does anybody know the source for this story?
        If you do please email me right away as the article deadline in Monday
        thanks
        rob fitts

        RobsJapaneseCards.com
        http://www.robsjapanesecards.com

        Get faster connections�-- switch to�MSN Internet Access!
      • ochiai
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2002
          Hi
          Yes, that's it! Thanks!
          For the record, the original source seems to be Holway's book- Japan is Big
          League in Thrills
          thanks again
          rob