Matsui OFFICIALLY leaving Japan (coming to US)

  • Briesh
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2002
      Howdy people,
      Being a Tigers fan, I'm happy to see Matsui leave the
      Giants to tryout for the Major leagues. One less cannon in the Giants
      lineup makes everyone else job easier!

      The Japanese news showed some clips of his press conference. He
      was saying the people might call him a "traitor" for leaving the
      Giants. I always believed from Day 1 of Matsui's career, the Giants
      did not trust Matsui's power. Look at all the free agents they
      brought: Ochiai (Orions, Dragons), Kiyohara (Lions), Eto (Carps). Of
      course they were FORTUNATE that Takahashi said he wanted to play for
      the Giants after college ball. I think this is Matsui chance to prove
      to everyone that he can handle being THE MAN.

      Now, that he's coming here, where in America will he end up? I
      hope NOT the Yankees. I don't think Matsui can handle the harsh media
      and fan coverage. And not the Mariners... Seattle will end up
      becoming a All-Japan All-Star team.

      Would like to hear your comments.

      Ritesh
    • ochiai
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2002
        As a New Yorker, I'm praying for the Yankees - but they have too much salary
        committed to bum players right now. Thanks to Bud, they may not be able to
        afford him.
        rob fitts

        > Being a Tigers fan, I'm happy to see Matsui leave the
        > Giants to tryout for the Major leagues. One less cannon in the Giants
        > lineup makes everyone else job easier!
        >
        > The Japanese news showed some clips of his press conference. He
        > was saying the people might call him a "traitor" for leaving the
        > Giants. I always believed from Day 1 of Matsui's career, the Giants
        > did not trust Matsui's power. Look at all the free agents they
        > brought: Ochiai (Orions, Dragons), Kiyohara (Lions), Eto (Carps). Of
        > course they were FORTUNATE that Takahashi said he wanted to play for
        > the Giants after college ball. I think this is Matsui chance to prove
        > to everyone that he can handle being THE MAN.
        >
        > Now, that he's coming here, where in America will he end up? I
        > hope NOT the Yankees. I don't think Matsui can handle the harsh media
        > and fan coverage. And not the Mariners... Seattle will end up
        > becoming a All-Japan All-Star team.
        >
        > Would like to hear your comments.
        >
        > Ritesh

      • Patrick Gary
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2002
          What about seeing him go to San Francisco? The SF Giants are going to need
          another bat after Jeff Kent leaves. It'd be a good cultural fit with the
          large Asian population in N. California. He'd be able to hit in the 5 hole
          behind Barry Bonds.

          What did his numbers look like in Japan this season?
          -P@

          > Being a Tigers fan, I'm happy to see Matsui leave the
          > Giants to tryout for the Major leagues. One less cannon in the Giants
          > lineup makes everyone else job easier!
          >
          > The Japanese news showed some clips of his press conference. He
          > was saying the people might call him a "traitor" for leaving the
          > Giants. I always believed from Day 1 of Matsui's career, the Giants
          > did not trust Matsui's power. Look at all the free agents they
          > brought: Ochiai (Orions, Dragons), Kiyohara (Lions), Eto (Carps). Of
          > course they were FORTUNATE that Takahashi said he wanted to play for
          > the Giants after college ball. I think this is Matsui chance to prove
          > to everyone that he can handle being THE MAN.
          >
          > Now, that he's coming here, where in America will he end up? I
          > hope NOT the Yankees. I don't think Matsui can handle the harsh media
          > and fan coverage. And not the Mariners... Seattle will end up
          > becoming a All-Japan All-Star team.
          >
          > Would like to hear your comments.
          >
          > Ritesh

          Broadband?�Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.
        • aladdinsane
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2002
            The Dodgers say they're not interested and the Mariners aren't going to
            pursue him, either. That at least leaves the Braves, Mets and Yankees at this
            point and Texas has been mentioned, but no way he ends up there. I doubt the
            SF Giants are going to spend the money for him, though there are apparently
            some in the front office who would like to sign him.

            Take care,

            Gary
            http://www.BaseballGuru.com

            Briesh wrote:

            > Howdy people,
            > Being a Tigers fan, I'm happy to see Matsui leave the
            > Giants to tryout for the Major leagues. One less cannon in the Giants
            > lineup makes everyone else job easier!
            >
            > The Japanese news showed some clips of his press conference. He
            > was saying the people might call him a "traitor" for leaving the
            > Giants. I always believed from Day 1 of Matsui's career, the Giants
            > did not trust Matsui's power. Look at all the free agents they
            > brought: Ochiai (Orions, Dragons), Kiyohara (Lions), Eto (Carps). Of
            > course they were FORTUNATE that Takahashi said he wanted to play for
            > the Giants after college ball. I think this is Matsui chance to prove
            > to everyone that he can handle being THE MAN.
            >
            > Now, that he's coming here, where in America will he end up? I
            > hope NOT the Yankees. I don't think Matsui can handle the harsh media
            > and fan coverage. And not the Mariners... Seattle will end up
            > becoming a All-Japan All-Star team.
            >
            > Would like to hear your comments.
            >
            > Ritesh

          • Gene Newman
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2002
              There's a very large Japanese population in the Atlanta area, so I think he'd fit in well there.

              Gene

              Briesh wrote:

              > Howdy people,
              >              Being a Tigers fan, I'm happy to see Matsui leave the
              > Giants to tryout for the Major leagues. One less cannon in the Giants
              > lineup makes everyone else job easier!
              >
              >     The Japanese news showed some clips of his press conference. He
              > was saying the people might call him a "traitor" for leaving the
              > Giants. I always believed from Day 1 of Matsui's career, the Giants
              > did not trust Matsui's power. Look at all the free agents they
              > brought: Ochiai (Orions, Dragons), Kiyohara (Lions), Eto (Carps). Of
              > course they were FORTUNATE that Takahashi said he wanted to play for
              > the Giants after college ball. I think this is Matsui chance to prove
              > to everyone that he can handle being THE MAN.
              >
              >      Now, that he's coming here, where in America will he end up? I
              > hope NOT the Yankees. I don't think Matsui can handle the harsh media
              > and fan coverage. And not the Mariners... Seattle will end up
              > becoming a All-Japan All-Star team.
              >
              >      Would like to hear your comments.
              >
              > Ritesh

            • SL Baur
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2002
                Patrick Gary writes:
                > What about seeing him go to San Francisco? The SF Giants are going to need
                > another bat after Jeff Kent leaves. It'd be a good cultural fit with the
                > large Asian population in N. California. He'd be able to hit in the 5 hole
                > behind Barry Bonds.
                >
                > What did his numbers look like in Japan this season?

                Big. >40 Homeruns, >100 RBIs. He was in the running for a triple
                crown until the very end of the season.