[j-ball] Yokohama to retire #22

  • Michael Westbay
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 1998
      OK, so it was the front page of Nikkan Sports today, and the front page
      is known for having the most imaginative writers. (I sometimes think
      that a writer is given 3 facts with no background and told to write a
      story about it. Maybe that's why I tend to skip the front page often.)
      Anyway, here's how the story goes.

      Should Yokohama win the pennant this year, they're considering retiring
      Sasaki's number (#22) from use (after Sasaki retires).

      Currently, only 5 of the 12 teams have retired numbers, Yokohama is one
      of the 7 that doesn't. The Giants have retired the most with 6 (of
      which Oh's #1 and Nagashima's #3 are probably the best known in this
      age). Hanshin has retired 3 numbers, Chunichi and Hiroshima 2 each, and
      Kintetsu one.

      Sasaki commented, "I feel like I'd like to pass the number on to
      someone, but it would be the first for the club. I'd be very happy to
      be the first." (Very loosely translated.)

      For Sasaki, the number "2" has always been his lucky number. He was
      born on 2/22 at 2:22 pm (in 1968). When he entered Yokohama, he wanted
      the number 12, but his father and mother both thought that two twos was
      a better idea, so he was talked into it.

      ------------------------------------

      Sasaki is now within one save point's reach of tying the last available
      closer record left, Kaku's (Chunichi) single season 44 save points
      record. Once that record joins his golden arm at his shrine at Yokohama
      Station (the Daimajinja), Sasaki will possess every known record for a
      closer. Sasaki's comment to that is, "I told you already, enough with
      the (personal) records. I just want the team to win." (Again, very
      loosely translated.) Well, Sasaki, fans love to see records broken, and
      since McGuire and Sosa aren't here, your closing work has kept Yokohama
      fans very happy.

      Yokohama goes against Chunichi for two at Nagoya Dome (so today's rain
      doesn't effect them). The Dragons already used up their "two losses" in
      their last head to head meeting, so it's a must win situation for
      Chunichi. A win tonight will relight Yokohama's magic number at 5
      games.

      --
      Michael, Margarita, and Jobana Westbay
      Japan Pro Yakyu This Week