Re: [j-ball] looking for quotes

  • Shingo Takekuma
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2002
      Clete Boyer(1972~76' Taiyo Whales) said that Oh reminded him of Hank Aaron.
      He also said that Oh has good eye as Ted Williams. You can read his other
      quotes with related to Ohn in " Kiku and Bat" written by Robert Whiting back
      in the 1970's.

    • jfaesq
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 25, 2002
        Thank you Takekuma-san, for the help.

        Jim Albright

        --- In j-ball@y..., "Shingo Takekuma" <ys53@h...> wrote:
        > Clete Boyer(1972~76' Taiyo Whales) said that Oh reminded him of Hank
        Aaron.
        > He also said that Oh has good eye as Ted Williams. You can read his
        other
        > quotes with related to Ohn in " Kiku and Bat" written by Robert
        Whiting back
        > in the 1970's.

      • Cris Perkins
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 29, 2002
          Hi Jim,
          My name is Todd A. Craig, Manager of Communications for the WBCA.
          What is your j-ball list about? I am cleaning out this e-mail
          account and would like to know if it could be useful for me in my job.
          Please remove this e-mail address from the listserve and include me
          on your mailings regarding Women's Basketball only. My contact information
          is the same as below except my e-mail is tcraig@... and phone extension
          is 112.

          You can go ahead and remove Cris -- he left in March. I will not be checking
          this e-mail anymore.

          Cris Perkins
          Director of Media and Public Relations
          Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA)
          4646 Lawrenceville Highway
          Lilburn, GA  30047
          (770) 279-8027 ext. 129
          (770) 279-8473 fax
          www.wbca.org <http://www.wbca.org>
          cperkins@... <mailto:cperkins@...>

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 29, 2002
[...]

            Visit http://www.wbca.org/Poll.asp to make your Division I preseason
            selection for #1.

            Dan Latham wrote:

            > Why don't you just ask the people who saw him play?
            >
            > There were probably at least 50 or so Americans who played in the Central
            > League from the late 1950s to 1980, most of whom are probably alive.
            Sure,
            > Davey Johnson and Charlie Manuel may not return your calls, but I'm sure
            > many of those players would. Just get a copy of Wayne Graczyk's baseball
            > guide -- which lists all the foreigners that have played in Japan -- look
            up
            > those players that were in the CL during Oh's career. Graczyk's book
            lists
            > place of birth, and in many cases those players probably live in the same
            > home towns they were born in -- if not, then they probably have families
            in
            > those towns that can tell you how to contact the ex-player. Call
            directory
            > assistance, do a search on the Internet or visit the telephone book
            section
            > of your local library and chances are you'll get many of their phone
            > numbers.
            >
            > Dan Latham

          • J Albright
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 29, 2002
              I really do not run the list--I am a very involved member, but I do not manage
              any aspect of the list and have no ability to do so. This list is about
              Japanese baseball, pure and simple.

              Jim Albright

            • uofa57
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
                Jim,

                This doesn't answer your specific question, but when you mentioned
                quotes, I thought the members would enjoy one that I can remember
                about Nagashima. Back when Clyde Wright was pitching for the Giants,
                I went to see one of their games against the Swallows, at Jingu. I
                was chatting with Clyde before the game. I told him that I was
                having a hard time figuring out Nagashima's pitching rotation. I
                will never forget his reply: "Rotation? he doesn't know the meaning
                of the f*&%ing word rotation. He must wake up in the morning and the
                first pitcher who pops into his head is the starter."

                Clyde may well have been right, too!

                Gene