Re: [j-ball] looking for quotes

  • J Albright
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2002
      Nice idea, but since I'm not going to be paid for the article, I don't want to
      run up the long distance charges entailed in that idea.

      Jim Albright

      Dan Latham wrote:

      > Why don't you just ask the people who saw him play?
      >
      > There were probably at least 50 or so Americans who played in the Central
      > League from the late 1950s to 1980, most of whom are probably alive. Sure,
      > Davey Johnson and Charlie Manuel may not return your calls, but I'm sure
      > many of those players would. Just get a copy of Wayne Graczyk's baseball
      > guide -- which lists all the foreigners that have played in Japan -- look up
      > those players that were in the CL during Oh's career. Graczyk's book lists
      > place of birth, and in many cases those players probably live in the same
      > home towns they were born in -- if not, then they probably have families in
      > those towns that can tell you how to contact the ex-player. Call directory
      > assistance, do a search on the Internet or visit the telephone book section
      > of your local library and chances are you'll get many of their phone
      > numbers.
      >
      > Dan Latham

    • Shingo Takekuma
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 24, 2002
        Clete Boyer(1972~76' Taiyo Whales) said that Oh reminded him of Hank Aaron.
        He also said that Oh has good eye as Ted Williams. You can read his other
        quotes with related to Ohn in " Kiku and Bat" written by Robert Whiting back
        in the 1970's.

      • jfaesq
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 25, 2002
          Thank you Takekuma-san, for the help.

          Jim Albright

          --- In j-ball@y..., "Shingo Takekuma" <ys53@h...> wrote:
          > Clete Boyer(1972~76' Taiyo Whales) said that Oh reminded him of Hank
          Aaron.
          > He also said that Oh has good eye as Ted Williams. You can read his
          other
          > quotes with related to Ohn in " Kiku and Bat" written by Robert
          Whiting back
          > in the 1970's.

        • Cris Perkins
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 29, 2002
            Hi Jim,
            My name is Todd A. Craig, Manager of Communications for the WBCA.
            What is your j-ball list about? I am cleaning out this e-mail
            account and would like to know if it could be useful for me in my job.
            Please remove this e-mail address from the listserve and include me
            on your mailings regarding Women's Basketball only. My contact information
            is the same as below except my e-mail is tcraig@... and phone extension
            is 112.

            You can go ahead and remove Cris -- he left in March. I will not be checking
            this e-mail anymore.

            Cris Perkins
            Director of Media and Public Relations
            Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA)
            4646 Lawrenceville Highway
            Lilburn, GA  30047
            (770) 279-8027 ext. 129
            (770) 279-8473 fax
            www.wbca.org <http://www.wbca.org>
            cperkins@... <mailto:cperkins@...>

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 29, 2002
[...]

              Visit http://www.wbca.org/Poll.asp to make your Division I preseason
              selection for #1.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 29, 2002
                I really do not run the list--I am a very involved member, but I do not manage
                any aspect of the list and have no ability to do so. This list is about
                Japanese baseball, pure and simple.

                Jim Albright

              • uofa57
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
                  Jim,

                  This doesn't answer your specific question, but when you mentioned
                  quotes, I thought the members would enjoy one that I can remember
                  about Nagashima. Back when Clyde Wright was pitching for the Giants,
                  I went to see one of their games against the Swallows, at Jingu. I
                  was chatting with Clyde before the game. I told him that I was
                  having a hard time figuring out Nagashima's pitching rotation. I
                  will never forget his reply: "Rotation? he doesn't know the meaning
                  of the f*&%ing word rotation. He must wake up in the morning and the
                  first pitcher who pops into his head is the starter."

                  Clyde may well have been right, too!

                  Gene