Re: [j-ball] japanese players in MLB 2002

  • aladdinsane
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2002
      Hi Rob:

      Iguchi is playing second base for Daiei this spring while Kawajiri
      just had a good start the other
      day for Hanshin. Other than the ones you know, I can't think of any
      others that are in MLB camps
      right now, though a couple of foreigners who flunked out of Japan last
      season have been picked up
      by MLB teams. Jon Zuber, for example, is with Milwaukee now.
      It is true that there is interest by MLB scouts in Iguchi, but I
      haven't seen any indication that he
      intends to jump. The Japan Times indicated that Hiroki Kokubo may come
      over here as a FA in the
      next couple of years. Also, a Waseda University lefthander named
      Tsuyoshi Wada was scouted to
      positive reviews at a college baseball tournament in Taiwan this past
      week. The Dodgers are very
      interested, as are at least five Japanese clubs.
      There are Japanese who are playing in independent leagues here, but
      I don't have a list on that.
      Incidentally, in case you don't read Baseball America, Jin Pil-jung
      looks like he is going to stay
      in Korea since nobody bid on him when he was posted.

      Take care,

      Gary
      http://home.earthlink.net/~aladddinsane/index.html
      http://www.BaseballGuru.com

      Robert Fitts wrote:

      > HiCan anybody tell me which Japanese players are currently at MLB
      > Spring training trying out for MLB teams? I, of course, know of
      > Ishii, Taguchi, Nomura, and Komiyama, but have heard rumors of Iguchi,
      > Kawajira, and others.thanksrobRobsJapaneseCards.com
      > http://www.robsjapanesecards.com
    • Aric Wu
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2002
        Didn't some team (I think it was the Padres) sign some
        kid reliever named Ryo Kumagai straight out of Tokyo
        University? I know he's not a pro, but I think he
        counts.

        http://mail.yahoo.com/
      • Robert Fitts
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
          thanks. That was a big help

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2002
            Kumagai came out of Tohoku Fukushi University, the same school that gave
            us Kazuhiro Sasaki.
            He pitched pretty well in an appearance for Boston the other day,getting
            through the inning with
            nobody scoring. Has a good sinking fastball. Boston gave him a $450,000
            signing bonus.

            Gary
            http://home.earthlink.net/~aladdinsane/index.html
            http://www.BaseballGuru.com