NPB As An Industry-Looking For Numbers

  • ehrendreichj
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2001
      Does anyone out there have any concrete numbers in terms of
      how big the industry of professional baseball is in Japan? For
      example, Bud Selig recently told Congress (although few
      believed his figures were completely accurate) that Major
      League Baseball is a $4-5 billion/year operation. That doesn't
      take into account peripheral businesses, such as apparel
      manufacturers, baseball publications and related television
      shows, foodservice and other stadium employees, etc. But it at
      least begins to show the economic impact of the sport/business.

      The purpose of my asking is that I'm researching the "Ichiro
      Effect," and trying to figure out exactly what's at stake here. I
      don't believe, as some doomsday prognosticators want us to,
      that the Japanese leagues today are modern equivalent of the
      Negro leagues post-Robinson and Paige. And I think one of the
      best arguments to be made is by showing the cold, hard
      economic figures that would indicate continued existence would
      be worthwhile to those with an financial stake in the league.
      (Although, that may not be THE best argument, since other
      concerns such as national pride, the "national pastime-ness" of
      the sport in Japan, and other important societal factors are all
      real issues here.)

      If anyone has any economic data on the business of baseball in
      Japan - or can point me in the right direction - it would be most
      appreciated. I'll be willing to share what I find when I can get it
      all collected.

      Joel Ehrendreich