Re: [j-ball] Re: Hanshin

  • Takekuma Shingo
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2001
      I believe that Davey Johnson works for some college on news. He claims
      that he is no longer interested in managing a baseball team. Since Davey is
      a ex-Giant,it would be interesting if Davey manages the Tokyo Giants.
      Okada was not only the one who cost Don Blasingame's manegial job at
      Hanshin,but
      Dave Hilton as well in 1980 season.

      >From: Michael Owen <michaelo@...>
      >To: <j-ball@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [j-ball] Re: Hanshin
      >Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 01:30:09 +0000
      >
      >Well, Kakefu's name cropped up last time they were looking for a manager,
      >but the powers that be thought he wasn't ready just quite yet (whatever
      that
      >means - as if being a TV commentator gives you the extra experience you
      >need). I was sort of hoping Davey Johnson might have been in the running
      -
      >you probably remember he made a trip out to Japan at the time ostensibly
      >touch base with Nagashima.
      >
      >Is Okada the farm manager? If so, he's got the credentials. Now he's also
      >the rookie who got Don Blasingame into trouble back in 1980, isn't he?
      >Blasingame is the only foreign manager the Tigers have ever had, and he
      >refused to play Okada, which made the fans angry, so of course he had to
      go
      >;-)
      >

      > > I understand that one of the candidates being considered to replace
      Nomura is
      > > Akinobu Okada.
      > > I haven't heard Kakefu's name mentioned (isn't he a commentator now?),
      but
      > > that would no doubt
      > > be a popular choice.
      > >
      > > Gary

      かわいい & 使えるブラウザで、インターネット生活もっと楽しくなる!
      http://explorer.msn.co.jp/
    • Michael Owen
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2001
        Davey Johnson is at Rollins College in Florida:

        http://www.sportserver.com/baseball/other/story/84527p-1138101c.html

        And sure - Dave Hilton was the one who was keeping Okada out of the lineup.