[j-ball] Re: Nagashima

  • Jim Allen
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 1998
      At 8:39 AM +0900 98.9.10, Michael Westbay wrote:
      > Mori, who it looks like will take Nagashima-kantoku's place, is a very
      > good manager. The only question is, how long with he last with
      > Watanabe-owner? Nagashima-kantoku, being half god, can ignore the wind
      > bag. Hirooka-exGM (Lotte) can hold his own in a fight with him (until
      > he's fired, anyway). I don't know if Mori-exKantoku (Lions) can take the
      > abuse from Nabetsu.
      >
      > Allen-san, you probably know Mori better than anyone else here. What's
      > your take on him lasting more than one season?

      First, I've never met the gentleman, so I guess I know him as well as
      anyone who's only seen him on TV. Mori is a pretty cool character and
      Tsutumi pretty much left him alone. I think he'll do as well as Fujita.
      Mori has zero charisma and so sooner or later when there is a prolonged
      down turn he'll get the chop.

      Mori excels at building a defense and a starting rotation. He can spot a
      good relief pitcher a mile away. If the Giants have any minor leaguers who
      are B grade fielders but world-class hitters, then the Giants might as well
      trade them or wait until Sadaharu Oh gets his next chance to manage the
      Giants. Mori will have nothing to do with them.

      The Giants have a lot of pitching talent and some pretty good fielders.
      They need to be made into a team and Mori may be the best person to do
      that. It may take him a while to find a catcher he wants to work with and
      build his defense around, but once people start talking about the Giants'
      catching as a strong point, they'll be well on their way to several
      championships.

      Jim

      Jim Allen

      Lots of odds and end about Japanese baseball
      http://www2.gol.com/users/jallen/jimball.html
      jallen@...